Beastie Boys

Getting my “Ills” muddled up. I meant ahead of Licence To Ill, rather than Ill Communication

I’ve got ill’s, they’re multiplyin’

5 Likes

Was there!

Also saw them the week Hello Nasty came out, also at Brixton. They came on really late (well, late for 13 year old me anyway) and played until about 12:30. So so good. No musicians death has got to me as much as MCA :frowning:

2 Likes
1 Like

Very much love Hello Nasty. The only album of theirs I don’t love is Licence to Ill, because I just don’t like that style. (I also think they would have found it slightly cringey down the line)

3 Likes

Loved them but the last two (real) album were pretty poor so I’m not bothered about another. Check Your Head was probably the most important album in my musical life.

Oh boy, Christmas present sorted.

1 Like

Just taken delivery of Beastie Boys Book. It is truly beautiful. Glad I’ve got 10 hours of train travel lined up in the next few days.

3 Likes

On my Xmas list

2 Likes

Looking at footage and photos from the book launch in NY a coupla days ago and it seems like the most brilliant book launch idea ever; a proper sit-down semi-theatrical show with Mixmaster Mike DJing and such.

5 Likes

Picked the book up the other day. It’s a beautiful thing and an absolute beast.

I’m going to get ripped carrying it in my bag.

Really enjoying it so far. Reading it in a full new yoik accent too

1 Like

Got another few weeks to wait for my copy, which I’ll get when I meet* them at Waterstones in London!

(* momentarily pass their field of vision)

1 Like

Best band of all-time.

4 Likes

I’m going to that too. No idea what I am going to say to them. Probably just mumble something incomprehensible and run away. Go me.

Read the first 200 pages the other night. I was worried the short essay format would get tiresome, but it’s a really, really great read. As much a tribute to New York and its music scene as to the band itself. Got a huge list of tunes I need to check out already.

I saw them on Jimmy Fallon having a laugh together the other week, was really sweet how close both of them still are, after what’s probably close to 40 years of knowing each other it was like watching two 13 year olds making each other laugh.

2 Likes

Strange now how much they were flying under the radar in '92. Even post Paul’s Boutique they really were underground after the huge success of the 1st album. I’ve always loved them and bought every album bar Licensed To Ill & Hello Nasty day one. Paul’s Boutique took an age to get the recognition it gets now and you’ll still find new stuff on that classic. The period between Paul’s Boutique up to and including Check Your Head is pure gold.

2 Likes

Wife saw me reading about it, and offered to get a copy for Xmas. Amazing, but does mean I have to wait ages to have a look.

Such a great band. Licensed to Ill one of the first albums I owned. My mate Andy’s older brother had Cookie Puss on vinyl and we mimed along to it at a primary school talent school in an ill-advised performance that was critically panned.

Probably the first group I listened to that was about more than just the music. Recall my Mum confiscating the tape after the Sun or the Mirror ran a story about them coming to the UK and visiting a hospital and being mean to the kids there. Might have been Great Ormond Street.

3 Likes

Here’s a great piece by Prime Minister Pete Nice about Adam Yauch that was published shortly after his death.

1 Like