Beat writers, and that

I remember reading that Kerouac was convinced that his writing was perfect and didn’t require the work of an editor. Think he got his way more often after the success of OTR. Think that might have caused a real drop in quality (plus the drugs)

2 Likes

Dunno if he quite qualifies as a beat writer but I remember really enjoying Ringolevio by Emmett Grogan when I read it years ago.

I read On the Road years ago, fully prepared to be impressed. I think I just found it squalid, boring and frustrating. I barely remember anything about it apart from the protagonist constantly scrabbling around on the ground for cigarette butts which I found foul and I guess that’s why it stuck with me.

I’ve since read a few works by beat writers and not been very impressed on the whole. I tried to enjoy them because I was told (by men) that they were these amazing works of art but I’m just not that interested in books by men about men.

I did enjoy Bukowski’s Women, which I wasn’t expecting. Some of his writing is quite beautiful.

On the whole I think the beat movement had literary merit in that it was depicting a way of life and a world which was not commonly reflected in literature at that time and it was reflecting it in a generally authentic way. I find it unfortunate that as a literary movement it is so dominated by male introspection.

Are there any well known or less well known female beat writers? I’m genuinely interested.

Not sure if this would be of interest. Joyce Johnson was Jack Kerouac’s girlfriend for a time, and wrote a memoir about the Beat generation

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll check it out.

I think Diane Di Prima wrote at least one novel about being a beat woman (and therefore excluded from being a beat.)

2 Likes

I really like Eve Babitz! NYRB did a paperback reissue of Slow Days, Fast Company a few years ago which I picked up and enjoyed a lot.

Something about her reminds me a lot of the protagonist of Joan Didion’s Play it as it Lays which is a big favourite of mine.

2 Likes

Brothers on a Hotel Bed ffs

Quite enjoyed on the road. The last trip where they go through Mexico is great.

I rly like cath too. Trans is the one though for sure and still sounds brilliant.

2 Likes

Just added Didion and Babitz to my wishlist as a result of the @xylo and @spaceshipped conversation.

2 Likes

Would like this list as its one of my favourite books

Off the top of my head…

A Walk on the Wild Side - Nelson Algren
The Ginger Man - JP Donleavy
Last Exit to Brooklyn - Hubert Selby Jr
Junky - William Burroughs

1 Like