Beau is Afraid - Spoilers in this one

I think I will just make a thread about it any time someone makes a 3+ hour film which is really divisive. This is the one for Beau is Afraid

I liked it!

The following jokes were my favourite ones:

• All of the stupid over the top things on the sex club below his apartment like “Pussy Opens Bottle” with just “Perfectly Normal Cock” as one of them
  • All of the fake K-Pop posters in the teenage daughters room were amazing but the best one was “Ki55 - We are 55 boys and we love you”
  • Googling the symptoms of his medication and the first result being “Remembering John” and a eulogy
  • Birthday Boy Stab Man item on the news with “witnesses describe him as an uncircumcised white male”
  • The fact that those parents had lost their son in service in Caracas
  • That entire beautiful animated sequence meandering along for ages about his lost family and sons just to payoff with the joke that they couldn’t be his sons as he’s a virgin and we know that the whole time
  • Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby
  • The guilt trip from the Mum to her adult son including the fact that he got her the For The Boys OST on CD for her birthday two years in a row

Funny film IMO!

The things that I hated were mainly the teenage daughter character in the section with Amy Ryan and Nathan Lane (who were both really fucking funny) and I didn’t like the Jeeves character in that bit either but did enjoy his return later on.

4 Likes

Once again, cannot wait for TKC to watch this, he’s going to hate it so much!

1 Like

Absolutely dreading it

1 Like

I loved the concept of the final scene a bit more than the visual execution I think. I loved the idea of making the cinema audience a part of the scene and the way it just lingered on it throughout the credits but it did make it visually anti-climactic and I’m not sure it was worth the payoff/it could have been achieved without needing to be so dulled perhaps?

1 Like

And I’m dreading knowing that you’ll be watching it on an iPod Nano whilst doing the washing up and posting on DiS or whatever. It’s going to be a really excellent exchange of posts!

4 Likes

Oh yeah no chance am I sitting through this in a cinema. Does seem a Multiplex experience though - multi perplexing!!

1 Like

Doesnt quite work this but its a decent first attempt

Hahaha! I like this!

1 Like

Had no idea how long this was gonna be when i went to see it, really need to make sure i check the runtime of films beforehand

Thought it was very funny yeah. Was maybe expecting it to be like 10% more coherent and i could’ve done without the last 20 or so minutes but still enjoyed it

1 Like

I liked the teenage daughter

Ari Aster to make a good film at some point

I really needed those scenes to be a bit quieter I think. All the yelling just really stressed me out (which was deliberate but I found the other stressedoutness fun rather than actually stressful)

1 Like
8 Likes

I found this film infuriating, and it’s not even that funny. If you want to see a guy getting constantly screwed by the universe this is a tenth as long and much funnier (or you can watch Inside Llewyn Davis)

Yeah something about it just didn’t quite gel for me, or it seemed a bit subdued when the spectre of it lingered for so long throughout the rest of the film.

This is one of my favourite types of film but I wouldn’t describe Beau is Afraid as an example of this genre, personally

the daughter’s death was particularly harrowing, another Aster MO along with decapitated bodies ha

i saw this over a month ago now, gonna probably see it again tomorrow but i very much enjoyed it first time around.

1 Like

Might go see it tonight

3 Likes

Hooray!

Some promising scenes but overall, did not like it, despite being a fan of Aster’s other pictures and some of his shorts (I still refuse to watch the Strange Thing About the Johnsons). Really really felt its length and what the fuck was the dick monster in the attic all about?