Beck = back

Odelay! has aged in some respects sure, but it’s still a landmark pop album in many others

2 Likes

I’ll say one thing for Beck, he does not confine himself to just one style.

Interesting that someone compared him to Thom Yorke. “Loser” is my Beck equivalent of “Creep”, i.e. I hated the song and for that reason ignored Beck for many years until by chance I heard something off Midnight Vultures. I did like Morning Phase, but I also like some of his poppier stuff like the track posted here - I’m just not too keen on him when he goes all weird with lots of samples and gimmicks.

Odelay used to be my favourite of his but I prefer Mellow Gold or Midnite Vultures these days. Too many of the songs on Odelay end up as random noise and it seems to be more the Dust Brothers work. Midnite Vultures features more actual instruments and Mellow Gold has a real scrappy charm to it.

1 Like

The 2nd best is Sea Change.

1 Like

Why you little :rofl:

if you mean Mutations then yes, I agree, it is Beck’s best album.

1 Like

That’s interesting Bam, care to expand? I’d be very intrigued to hear your reasons. As someone who only arrived at Beck recently it sounds like it’s head and shoulders above the other albums of his that I’ve listened to (Odelay, Modern Guilt, Colors)

Please refer to my answer to Unlucky above, and behave

should probably listen to it before dismissing it really. of the ones you’ve not listened to yet it sounds like that and morning phase are probs most up your street

I mean it was a joke reply to somebody else making a playful response to a semi-serious subthread. I’m not seriously dismissing any of his work and will be giving all the albums suggested here a listen.

We good?

Sea Change was the first album of Boring Beck

3 Likes

Ohhhhh you rotter! :wink:

I know

Great :+1:t2:

I kinda know what you mean @ma0sm , but I reckon that particular honour belongs to Morning Phase.

1 Like

How the fuck did I forget about midnite vultures?!

I absolutely loved Beck when I was a kid, vaguely remember Odelay! coming out as my parents bought it, and I seem to remember picking up the Loser single around that time too. Here are a couple childhood Sevvy anecdotes:

• When I was in middle school me and a friend with a… I guess acapella(?) version of Devil’s Haircut. It was probably shite but I remember it well

• Maybe in the same year or the year later, we were asked to bring some singles we really liked, I put on ‘Loser’ and the teacher was convinced I had depressive issues for weeks. She’d be right in a few years time but back then i was absolutely fine, if a little hyperactive.

3 Likes

This is a very good shout. Had completely flown under my radar but have listened to it a couple of times now and enjoying it!

I am warming to Odelay more now, and the couple of tracks I have listened to off Mutations sound very good. Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

2 Likes

Loved Odelay as a child, heard it a couple years ago in a coffee shop and found it difficult to listen to. Just literally annoying. Beck’s a talented person, I understand the appeal, but his material just doesn’t speak to me anymore regardless of the different styles he’s employing.

I HEART sad depressive Beck.

3 Likes