Been on any good funiculars

Schafbergbahn in st wolfgang, Austria a couple of years ago. We went up in the snow, was grand:

It’s in the sound of music. Goes up to the top in the summer:

4 Likes

Found a photo from the top of the Lugano furnicular, shame it was a bit hazy as it’s a very pretty place.

When looking for the photo I found this one of the buffet car the Bernina Express on the way to St Moritz :joy:

5 Likes

It still does. Also has a camera obscura at the top for your viewing pleasure.

2 Likes

went on that one last year, its mint

If we’re doing photos, here’s my little dog on the Aberystwyth one. She had a great time but wasn’t allowed in the camera obscura, so me and gf took it in turns to have a look. I shouted at the dog from the balcony to wind her up coz she couldn’t figure out where I was, that was funny

https://instagram.com/p/BGPmZQAyV6L/

4 Likes

It’s just a really, really nice little town. Little bit different. The main network of streets in the centre is really unspoiled and great for ambling around. Not sure if you need to find the heart of a place although it depends what you go somewhere on holiday for tbh.

You say graffiti, others say street art. I’d definitely recommend it as somewhere to go for a few days.

I’ve been on this one, which was pretty impressive.

It was the year before this tragedy happened:

Most recently was the Capri one, unless you will allow the Peak Tram in Hong Kong (wikipedia describes it as funicular)?

Also a big fan of the Lynton/Lynmouth one.

This wee tiddler:

I used to live in those buildings right next to the mountain and the sea. Halcyon days.

2 Likes

Alexandra Hall? It’s probably the only one I never actually went inside.

1 Like

ah we stayed at the glengower last year, lovely pub. we were there for a wk and they changed their guest ales every couple of days so it was great, absolutely roasting too. my dad was brought up in aber and my cousin still lives there so i used to go all the time when i was a kid but havent been for prob 20 years until then

this looks suspiciously like a “where you been” thread

Aha I used to be in there every day during my first year. Yeah it’s lovely, something really magical about the area, feels so isolated and self contained. Need to go back soon.

@anon76851889 that’s the one! I lived in town after that but had a great flat on the second floor right on the front during my first year. The sea would spit stones at my window :smiley:

2 Likes

The Glen’s become one of my top 3 haunts when I’m in Aberystwyth these days (along with Rummers and the Ship and Castle). Changed a lot since my first visit though - £7 entry on the door for an all you can drink club night; the dancefloor was the sunken area where the pool table lives now.

Mine was The Castle, round the corner from Rummers - but the Glengower was where I went to watch the football and do the pub quiz. Spectacular in Summer too with the large windows, I just remember the manager being a grumpy git.
Also don’t know if you remember The Bay, had some very grimey nights in there.

The Bay was a mainstay of my student life - fortunately it didn’t close until after I graduated. Discovered it during freshers week and went several times pretty much every week for my entire degree course. Very much enjoyed the £1.40 pints with free shot of vodka (killed in 2004 I think?) and the general atmosphere of the place.

Quite enjoyed The Castle in my last year (I lived about 20 seconds from it), but it feels very generic and lacking in atmosphere inside when I go back nowadays.

2 Likes

I only came in here to talk about Aberystwyth and it turns out I already did :frowning:

1 Like