Been thinking a lot recently about how uninspiring Scandinavian cuisine is

I saw some Curiously Cinnamon cereal bars in Home Bargains at lunchtime. I did not purchase any.

I see it on TV occasionally. All seems inspiring on the surface at times, they go out foraging for wild herbs on rugged hilltops and it is all clean eating etc. But one of them was picking fucking moss and sticking it in the centre of a massive plate. Nah.

1 Like

All licorice is good licorice but some licorice is better than others.

This is my favourite

That doesn’t count.

1 Like

your favourite scandinavian food is australian liquorice?

2 Likes

The one time I went to Denmark there was Danish Pastries for breakfast. Whatever other food they may or may not have, that was enough for me :slight_smile:

Bit disappointed that whale is still acceptable as foodstuff / hunting prey though.

Also, my old Swedish mate told me about a dish where you take a herring, put it in a pot then bury it underground for months until it’s rancid, then you eat it.

That’s why I’ve been to Denmark, Norway and Iceland, but not Sweden*

*it’s not - I’d love to go to Sweden

Hey! I’m walking and eating meatballs here! Fuggedaboutit

1 Like

Herring rollmops are probably the most disgusting food on the planet – an unchanged opinion I first formed aged about twelve

Fair play to them though, a lot of the cuisine is ‘jazzed’ using strong flavours like horseradish and mustard. Pretty sure England could learn a thing or two from it

I always have a Plopp when I go to Sweden. Just because.

I thought that herring thing was more popular in Norway. In Sweden all I saw was what we’d call roll mops.

To be fair, though. We do use horseradish on second rate beef. And English mustard is better than any other variety.

1 Like

We do but not to the same extent and not with the same success

Wow

It was my Swedish mate who told me about it, and I didn’t see it in Norway when I went. I’m happy to be corrected though.

Just had a search, and Wikipedia reckons Swedish:

Ah, hang on - there’s a Norwegian equivalent. We’re both right!

1 Like

I think perhaps the Norweigians are more proud of this dish, or perhaps the ones I know are perversely proud of it. At a small music festival I used to go to, the Norwegian contingent would bring their herring with them and delight in getting non-Norwegians to try it.

Not particular Scandinavian though. Also consumed in Poland, Germany and the Netherlands.