Being touched by strangers

A waiter put his hand on my shoulder while talking to us on sat night. Made me feel really uncomfortable.

What’s your tolerance like for being touched by people you don’t know? Polls and chat welcome btw.

This thread seems to assume a tolerance for being touched by people you do know.

23 Likes

Absolutely fucking hate it

Massages: why on earth would you pay a stranger to touch you?

(Tolerance = pretty low)

3 Likes

Also find the proximity of hairdressers, opticians etc a nightmare and will put off doing those appointments for months at a time

1 Like

Exactly. And why would this count as a relaxing experience?

Awful business IMO.

1 Like

It can be quite nice, if you ignore that part.

I’d rather have a scalp massage than anything else though, tbf.

1 Like

Used to hate my old optician because her hair would touch my face when they do the ‘shining a bright light in your eye at very close quarters’ bit.

Don’t touch me, don’t talk to me, don’t look at me. But also watch where the fuck you’re going so you don’t walk into me or clog up the pavement while I’m walking.

I never had you down as one of them :hushed:

1 Like

Thread OP interface

Really don’t mind.

1 Like

I don’t even like strangers using my first name.

5 Likes

Had another traumatic experience recently where one of those living statue people flicked the hood of my coat when I walked past him. Proper invasion of personal space. Fully irked by it still.

1 Like

I like massages.
I don’t care about people I know or strangers touching me (as long as it’s not meant in an intimidating manner).
I do not think this is the thread for me.

8 Likes

pretty much happens every week as a consequence of doing jiujitsu.

I’d need a full day to recover from something like this.

1 Like

strongly dislike it when someone in a position of temporary dominance (higher ranking person at work, security guard etc) gets touchy feely and clamps their hand on your shoulder. instantly puts me into fight mode for some reason. have actually shrugged people off before.

8 Likes

Low tolerance. I hate it at say a busy train station someone pushes past, or worse places their hands on me to manoeuvre past, don’t know how people think that is acceptable, makes me genuinely angry, also have this weird thing that if I’m taking by surprise the sensation seems to linger for ages

Even when I know someone, unless I’m in a relationship with them, I flinch when someone touches me. It’s not that I hate it as such, I just don’t know what to do and I thibk about it so much that it’s distracting.

I wish I didn’t and I often think, when ive spent time with touchy feely friends, how I’ll make an effort to be more touchy but it is the weirdest hurdle for me to overcome and it’s just never going to happen. There’s one friend who always rests her hand kind of near to the side boob area and I have a crush on her so that is too much for me to handle and then I have another who literally corners me and rubs herself on me if she’s not seen me for a long time.

2 Likes