Best Album Artwork 2019

Was thinking a gallery or something! See all the loveliness together! But defo a poll like @bornin69x suggested would be good too.

2 Likes

Am looking forward to getting it on a tshirt when I see them later this year

The new FKA Twigs album art is predictably great:

3 Likes

Can’t make my mind up about that. Might have to wait until I see it full size.

1 Like

I’ve made up my mind. That’s fucking awful. Don’t care how good the record is I’m going up seriously reconsider a vinyl purchase if that’s really it.

5 Likes

It’s weird and slightly unsettling, and that’s obviously deliberate. Can’t work out if it’s also ugly or sort of beautiful.

Hmmmmm I like a lot of deliberately ugly covers (arca) but this just looks shit to my own personal aesthetic sense.

1 Like

I hated it at first but it’s already growing on me.

1 Like

Is this referencing a specific artwork? It looks like it’s meant to be a fresco albeit with twisted elements like the eyes.

Edit - oh it’s called Magdalene so presumably is based on a painting of Mary Magdalene.

It seems to have a lot in common with other work by the artist (probably NSFW):

https://www.matthewstone.co.uk/

1 Like

Beautifully ugly. I really like it. Wonder if it was Jesse Kanda again?

1 Like

I’m with you, this is rough.

1 Like

1 Like

猫 シ Corp. & t e l e p a t h

21 Likes

The Utopia Strong

18 Likes

I did a best and worst artwork poll the year before last (I think?) with collages for the shortlisted. Enjoyed seeing the year’s good, bad and ugly collated in one place. It was whatever year that Kasabian cover was…

Jay Som’s beautiful cover leading the way for me so far in 2019.

Found it! Wow, I’d forgotten about some of those nominations for worst:

pleased to discover this is a really good album too

You should definitely be in charge again at the end of the year - the collage is way beyond me.

…that’s if I can remember how to do it?

Had also forgotten Jens Lekman was nominated for both best and worst on that 2017 poll. Still not sure which one it belongs in.

1 Like