Best album available in every Poundland

Original Pirate Material. £1 for the car.

1 Like

wow, that’s a good find

Been finding some right gems in Poundland recently.

Got the second and third Beta Band albums, first two Yeah Yeah Yeahs albums, Midnite Vultures by Beck. Even found TV on the Radio’s Young Liars EP surprisingly. How does a Touch & Go release end up in Poundland?

Also got a Bjork album even though it had the wrong Bjork CD inside

5 Likes

It’s all through Music Magpie. Good finds! If I was still into getting CDs I’d be all over it

Although I get some for the car now and then. Used to love getting second hand cds to put on my iPod. Better than piracy and something to show off on your shelf and share. Or it was. Just vinyl 4 me now

i’m still all about CDs to put on my phone. i know i should just get Spotify Premium but i don’t want to.

1 Like

I respect that massively

i like the thrill of the chase too much!

i do use free Spotify on my laptop for checking stuff out, and stream from Bandcamp a bit on my phone at work, but still like to have a distinction between stuff i’ve listened to and stuff i own (even if it’s just digitally - enjoy finding bargain downloads as well)

Sound quality is better on cd/ripped to streaming, which is another plus. Most of my listening is through spotify now and it seems weird to be listening to poorer quality than 10-15 years ago when it was mostly via cd or mp3. Obviously all the other streaming benefits though.

1 Like

I did this for years and years, even when pirating stuff I still tried to chase stuff and I loved getting cds in the post. But I was buying too many new cds that would just sit on a shelf too and then, in some cases, buying the vinyl. Decided to pack it in and just go Spotify and vinyl.

Did love it tho

1 Like

vinyl’s just an occasional treat for me, only if it’s cheap.

I don’t have much room in my house so if I’m gonna buy physical media I figured it might as well be something I play off the physical copy itself. But I always got a buzz off getting a disc

1 Like

i do still insist on playing CDs (even though i could get by perfectly well playing them off my phone or laptop only). more often than i play vinyl really as that always feels like more faff. don’t really have a place to keep my cheap record player set up and plugged in at all times unfortunately.

my tiny room is overflowing with CDs and books though, not sure how long this is sustainable for. might have to sneak some back to my parents’ house surreptitiously (where there’s already a heap of both in the wardrobe that i’m sure my mum would love me to get rid of)

1 Like

Yeah, I also think having a good turntable is important. A cheap one just takes the joy out of playing records as they sound shit and end up being a faff

1 Like

I’m still buying CDs from charity shops and Poundland. Mainly 90s and 00s indie from collections replaced by streaming I suspect. Recent buys are the Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever to Tell and New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Both look as though they’ve only been played once and then left on the shelf for 15 years.

Haha probably from teens like me who bought, ripped and shelved them

2 Likes

yeah there are a couple of record shops here with decent second hand CD bargains in them as well, and the Oxfam bookshop near the university turns up some good CDs now and then as well. was surprised and delighted when i found a Palace Music album i’d been hankering after in there a few years ago. there’s a pristine looking Mount Kimbie album in there at the minute for £2 which is tempting me.

1 Like

Stuck all my CDs into boxes in my mum’s spare room when I moved up to Scotland in 2011. Might actually be in a position to reclaim them all in the next 12-18 months and oh boy I am excited, there will be some real gems in there I haven’t listened to in a long time.

Between 2012 and 2015-ish I made some rather exciting discoveries in my local Poundland(s) including albums by Brian Eno, Cornelius, Bobby Womack, Japan, (early-ish) REM, Eels, Madder Rose and my favourite probably the 1991 ‘International’ compilation on Mute records. Then at some point the more unexpected finds were obviously being siphoned off elsewhere and it narrowed to the familiar Poundland selection which is still pretty much unchanged today.

1 Like