Best album (s) you’ve discovered this year NOT released this year - 2018 Edition

chat
hotopinions
bumsnogger
music
susanalbumparty

Always enjoy this thread so I’m rebooting it for 2018.

Thanks to the boygenius record I discovered the Phoebe Bridgers album.

Stunning.

I’m sure I have others…

Dirty Three - Whatever You Love, You Are

had listened to them in passing a few years ago but their NPR session came up when i was searching for something for the NPR thread, and then ended up diving back into their discography a lot more fully. hadn’t heard anything from this one before but it’s an absolute stunner.

fuckin love that album! but i love all their work I guess - have you gone into offshoots like Mick Turner’s work??

i haven’t, i’ll need to try that next!

The ambient listening club has been brilliant for this. Two highlights for me this year that I doubt I would have come across otherwise were the Burger/Ink album and Charcoal by Brambles, which are both excellent.

Thanks to someone playing it at work I also realised that Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On by Funkadelic is a slice of genius.

Lots. Macca’s first solo album.
Dirty Work and 1999 by Prince.
Arthur Russell - World of Echo
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way and Pangaea.

Came out this year, but old songs, ‘African Scream Contest 2’ comp is fantastic. Well worth a listen.

Try Another Thought by yer man Arthur R.

Balmorhea - Rivers Arms

been falling into more and more of this type of music this year, and this one has floored me

I’m sure there’s something I’m forgetting, but looks like a surprisingly productive year given how much new music there was to sort through to.

Deafheaven - New Bermuda
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
Jeff Rosenstock - Worry
Jeff Rosenstock - We Cool?
Boris - Akuma No Uta
Boris - Heavy Rocks (2002)
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will
Mogwai - Rock Action
Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling
Mogwai - Happy Songs for Happy People
Bardo Pond - Lapsed
A Place to Bury Strangers - Self Titled

Cleaners from Venus - Midnight Cleaners

Park Jiha - Communion

Lovely captivating moody instrumental stuff. Did everyone else know about this two years ago and just didn’t tell me? Had to rely on some bloke from work

DAVID COMES TO LIFE

Bossk - Audio Noir

Loads, obviously. In no particular order and probably forgetting some:

Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland - Two Steps from the Blues
Self Defence Family - Heaven is Earth
Bill Nelson - Quit Dreaming (And Get on the Beam)
Rose McDowell - Cut With the Cake Knife
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Le Tigre - Le Tigre
Jean Grae - Jeanius
Van Halen - Van Halen
Waylon Jennings - The Taker/Tulsa
Das EFX - Dead Serious
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous
Hot Snakes - Suicide Invoice

Hard to pick just one from such a diverse bunch, but if pressed I might go for Le Tigre.

one of theirs i’ve not listened to yet. must get on it.

Aldous Harding - s/t

the album she released last year was decent but i happened across her debut on bandcamp at the start of the year and i’m a big fan of its more intimate folk stylings

Kelly Lee Owens (admittedy not that old). Thought it was going to be some alt-country based on her name, now it would’ve been my 2017 AOTY.

Hadn’t listened to them at all before, but discovered Catherine Wheel this year. Chrome is an incredible record.

Some gems from random YouTube recommendations: Bowery Electric- Feels, Seefeel - Quique, Susumu Yokota -Acid Mt. Fuji.

One of my favourites of all time. Not a bad moment on it.

Moth by Mick Turner is excellent.

Absolutely, have been introduced to some really great stuff through that thread… have fallen behind over the past couple of months, so thanks for reminding me to dip back in.