Best album (s) you’ve discovered this year NOT released this year - 2018 Edition

yeah man it’s maybe one of the saddest albums ever made

2 Likes

My daughter is called Matilda (after the Scott Walker version of the Brel song, I wasn’t quite pretentious enough to go with the French spelling) and then my son Frederick after the Patti Smith song.

3 Likes

Great record, only slightly compromised by the dated production. Have you investigated the other Triffids records? They are a brilliant and unfairly forgotten band. I really love In The Pines which is the complete opposite of BSD in production (and actually includes the rather wonderful song that gives BSD its title).

1 Like

Ice Age - Plowing Into The Field Of Love… can’t believe I missed this at the time, saw them live this year in a tiny venue… just fantastic
Mount Eerie - Lost Wisdom… continuing to discover the treasures within Phil Elverum’s catalog
Miles Davis - Miles Smiles… There’s always another Miles album to find isn’t there
Silver Jews - Bright Flight… Highlight from the gems I discovered when Drag City gave into the streaming services
Titus Andronicus - The Monitor… Again, how did I not hear this??? It’s not as if they’ve not been mentioned on here lol
Lawrence English - The Peregrine… From the electronic/ambient listening club
The Black Dog - Bytes… see above (TBF I had this sometime back, but hadn’t listened to it in ages, really rinsed it this year though)
Richard H Kirk - Virtual State… okay, that electronic listening club is the business isn’t it, seriously this one is absolutely classic

3 Likes

Cannot explain just how much I love this record. Absolutely beautiful and flawless.

2 Likes

YES!

2 Likes

yep all of this^ … I’m a month behind myself. I’ve been lurking in the hip hop version of this thread as well this year. Both threads have been full of cracking stuff and have re energized my listening habits in both areas >>>> Classics / Canon edition of the DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

A rediscovery for me this year has been The Beatles White album, it really clicked with me this year. The recently released super deluxe version is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Their early stuff is brilliant. Seance is probably my fave, but Blurred Crusade and Hey Day are excellent too. The Hindsight compilation is a cracker.

Mitski — Bury Me at Makeout Creek
Queen Kwong — Get a Witness

Dirt Poor Robins - The Raven Locks Act 3
Dirt Poor Robins - The Raven Locks Act 2
Dirt Poor Robins - The Raven Locks Act 1
Dirt Poor Robins - The Cage
Dirt Poor Robins - The Last Days of Leviathan
The Spent Poets - The Spent Poets
Barock Project - Detachment
King Bathmat - Overcoming the Monster
Dada - Puzzle
Mals Totem - Mals Totem
Ninet - Paper Parachutes

The Disintergration Loops saw somebody mention it somewhere (genuinely can’t remember where) in March been a weekly listen for most of the year. Mainly at 4 on a Saturday Morning.

couple more from me

Giant Squid - Minoans (doomy Bronze Age metal with nicely melancholy cello throughout)

The Wildhearts - Earth vs The Wildhearts (lord knows how I missed out on this - it’s exactly the combination of chunky hard rock riffs and killer pop hooks that is so far up my street it’s practically knocking on the front door)

Buhloone Mind State - de La Soul from 1993.

1 Like

Some Vague Desire is the album. Favourite post-punk band at the moment.

I’ve loved Washed Out for years, but hadn’t heard the High Times album until it was reissued this month. The tune this samples is also a banger.

Not a massive rap fan but love his beats on this album so much. Come to Life it’s called.

I haven’t actually! Recording doesn’t put me off mind

Was it Taradiddle with Mike Weis of Zelienople?

Check the Good Stuff House album from 2013. Draws out the sprawls even further.

Hard to remember as I’m always going through stuff I’ve missed on Spotify, from 2017 though I’ve been enjoying Declan McKenna’s debut - Brazil will end up being one of my most listened to tracks this year. Quite liked Gang of Youths’ Go Farther in Lightness as well

Sciencing - Millionaire (Would of been in my top 10 of 2017 for sure - Bloodshot on this is better than all of the last QOTSA album imo)

The Bells - Nils Frahm

Fake Sugar - Beth Ditto

Medication EP/Waiting For The World To Turn - Palace Winter

Nihil - KMFDM

The Road, Pt 1 - Unkle

Hallucinogen EP - Kalela

Transmission - Death In Vegas

Sexwitch - SEXWITCH (Natasha Khan and Toy go mad on wax)

50 Words for Snow - Kate Bush (Finally had a physical reason/excuse this year to listen to it - yey snow!!)

The Knot/Civilian - Wye Oak (This band can do no wrong)

The Curtain Hits The Cast/Drums and Guns - Low (slowcore speed making my through their back catalogue - lovely stuff)

The Brothel/The Silicone Veil - Susanne Sundfør (Think she is one of the greatest female artists of the last 10 years, with an extraordinary voice)

The Mountain Will Fall - DJ Shadow

Mer de Noms - A Perfect Circle

Atomic - Mogwai

Darlene Shrugg - Darlene Shrugg (Kicks Arse!)

Howl/Night Melody EP - Rival Consoles (Johannesburg off Night Melody gives Mr Hopkins a run for his money)

Sunbather - Deafheaven (totally in love with this band now)

Vespertine - Björk (absolutely stunning)

Integrity Blues - Jimmy Eat World

Furnace Room Lullaby/Blacklisted/Fox Confessor Brings The Flood/Middle Cyclone/The Worse Things Get, the Harder I Fight, the Harder I Fight, the More I Love You - Neko Case (She’s been on my back log for years - did not disappoint)

Pretty Hate Machine/Broken EP - NIN

Elastica - Elastica (more punkish and Rawkus for the time than I was led to believe - in no way what I would class as Britpop)

True Love - Charlotte Hatherley (melancholic Synth pop loveliness - what M83 should of done instead of Junk)

Highly Deadly Black Tarantula - Teeth of the Sea

The Shepherds Dog - Iron & Wine

Ex Eye - EX EYE (would of been in my 2017 top 20 to be sure)

Patriots Day Soundtrack/The Vietnam War Soundtrack - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Volume 8: The Threat is Real - Anthrax

Welcome EP/Meat EP - Idles (interesting to hear their earlier work, especially on the Welcome EP where they sound like The Maccabees, or what I’ve heard of them)

Strangler Days - Middle Class Rut

Malibu - Anderson.Paak

Contact Note - Jon Hopkins

Uncontrollable - Miserable

Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters/No One Can Ever No/Nobody Wants To Be Here and No One Wants To Leave - The Twilight Sad (bit more mainstream than I expected - Scottish Editors?? - but have enjoyed listening to them)

Nola - Down

Los Angeles - Rosalía

Almost Holy Soundtrack - Atticus Ross, Leopold Ross, The Haxan Cloak

Guilty of Love - Unloved

Sorry, I included EP’s :slightly_frowning_face:

I will always argue that Elastica is the one truly great album to come out of the Britpop era.

1 Like

Maybe - that and Six by Mansun :blush:

2 Likes