Best album (s) you’ve discovered this year NOT released this year - 2019 Edition

Always enjoy this thread so I’m rebooting it for 2019.

for me…

The Beths debut. Hammered this.

Since seeing them at Greenman, both the Idles albums

The first few The Durutti Column albums

and thanks to the Listening Club, Low… a lot of Low has been listen to.

2 Likes

Aja - Steely Dan. Yeah, quite late to the party but hell, what an album.

6 Likes

Not much this year feels there has been enough to crack on and listen to in the new releases. The one that sticks out is The Walkmen- Heaven haven’t listen to it since it was released and I don’t remember being that bothered by it. Listened to it this past few months and it is really good.

This has been a really productive year for me, I ended up finding a few albums that will likely be in my top ten or even top five of the decade.

Alcest - Kodama
Mark Kozelek and Jimmy LaValle - Perils from the Sea
Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
Tamaryn - The Waves
Deafheaven - Sunbather
The Twilight Sad - No One Can Ever Know
Neil Young - On the Beach
Sleater-Kinney - Call the Doctor
Sleater-Kinney - The Hot Rock
Big Thief - Masterpiece
Midwife - Prayer Hands EP

I also liked these but need to revisit them. Hartfield in particular felt very Pumpkins influenced at times.
A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head
Hartfield - True Color, True Life
Yuragi - Still Dreaming, Still Deafening

And I’m currently working on Admiral Fell Promises by Sun Kill Moon.

2 Likes

I’d first heard Underworld via the Trainspotting soundtrack but never went backwards in their discography. Finally listened to dubnobasswithmyheadman this year - and it’s amazing. Bit gutted to have missed out for a quarter century.

7 Likes

Been waiting for this thread so that I could declare my love for…

K.Flay — Every Where is Some Where

Part studio pop, part hip hop, part noisy electro, all awesomeness.

Well done. Brilliant, brilliant album.

1 Like

Brandi Carlile - By The Way, I Forgive You
Laura Gibson - Goners

Most definitely this

I knew about it back yonder but never bought it back yonder but bought it I now have.

Wand - Golem

Checked out their Perfume EP last year which was quite nice, think I gave 1000 Days a spin then too which suggested they had a louder side. Did not know what a heavy beast of a band they used to be until I gave Golem a try when deciding whether to see them live a few months ago

1 Like

Teens of Denial by car seat headrest

Jason Molina and his other projects
Vic Chesnut

Also been trying to get into Jazz and found some stuff I like.

same, Lanquidity by Sun Ra has been my top jazz find. also Journey in Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane

2 Likes

The big one is Lambchop’s Nixon - What Else Could It Be? popped up in one of my Spotify Daily Mix playlists a few months ago and I’ve been rinsing the album ever since. I’ve also fallen in love with Iron & Wine’s The Shepherd’s Dog after the TV picked up a second hand copy on vinyl. Have found myself wondering how I didn’t manage to hear either of these before!

Other contenders:
Pijn - Loss
Sannhet - So Numb
Lucy Dacus - Historian
Mamiffer - The World Unseen
Boris - Boris At Last: Feedbacker (took a reissue to get me listening to this!)
William Tyler - Modern Country

2 Likes

Not listened to those. Will check them out.

This is a great album which I haven’t listened to in ages, just dug it out again recently for an autumnal listen but haven’t got round to it yet. Used to play it a lot every autumn

2 Likes

I’ve been working my way through these

1 Like

Body/Head - The Switch
Deliluh - Day Catcher
Cindy Lee - Act Of Tenderness

Have you tried any other Lambchop albums yet? Damaged is an underrated masterpiece imo. God it’s just so gorgeous

1 Like

Recently, I had a 17 year old student come up to me and inform me that Underworld are her favorite band and she is going to England next year to see them. I’m still not sure how she has got into them but hey someone in the Midwest of American who is listening to something other than crappy country music!

I watched Trainspotting for the first time in years and years the other week and I was reminded that back in the day I owned the VHS special edition which came with a Lighter, Orange Tinted Shades and a metal Rizla Holder. Oh the 90’s!