Best album (s) you've discovered this year NOT released this year

I think there was two threads on this last year.

Slint - Spiderland (shameful it’s taken this long)
Grizzly Bear - Shields
Lift to Experience - The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads
Hot Snakes - Suicide Invoice
The Gun Club - Miami

Sure there’s others but these are the standouts

1 Like

MIDORI TAKADA - THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS & LUNAR CRUISE

exquisite, ambient sounds.

2 Likes

Future of the Left
Teen Suicide (such an awful band name fucks sake)
Bomb the Music Industry!
Walkmen

Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial …is the main one. Huge favourite now
Weyes Blood - Front Row Seat to Earth
Martha - Blisters in the Pit of My Heart

4 Likes

Only now realising how fucking brilliant the Avi buffalo album is.

4 Likes

Thee Oh Sees - Mutilator Defeated At Last.

Hadn’t kept up with them due to the newer stuff not being on Spotify until this year. Got caught up on the last few albums now and this has become an all time favourite

4 Likes

Carly Simon’s No Secrets album, from 1972 - when even I wasn’t born!

Also picked up Manipulator by Ty Segall which is pretty strong

Off the top of my head - lift to experience.

Also currently loving this comp which I bought on release but never gave a second listen until this year!

Danny Brown - atrocity exhibition

10 Likes

Bolt thrower - war master / for Victory. How I never got into these back in the day when I was a thrash metal heed I 'll never know.

2 Likes

Fucking love Danny Brown. Have you listened to XXX?

7 Likes

No I have not, should I be checking it out?

1 Like

The beat using the Metronomy sample is insane.

1 Like

@nav sold me a load of stuff, the pick of the stuff I didn’t know was probably Cuban Linx II. Love it.

2 Likes

Fuck yes. Play it loud. But not within earshot of anyone you like…

4 Likes

Haha will do ma man

1 Like

Been digging the psychedelic stylings of Deradoorian’s Expanding Flower Planet. Reminds me of that first Yeasayer album a bit.

1 Like

This year’s been a great year for being introduced to past music, standouts include:

Bikini Kill - Pussywhipped: abrasive but considering the other revered albums from the early 90s I’m not sure why this isn’t held in higher regard. Top stuff

Beastie Boys - Paul’s Boutique, Check Your Head & Ill Communication: a ludicrously good run of albums

Mannequin Pussy - Romantic: Gloriously adolescent name, and the music’s even better

Nina Simone - Wild is the Wind & … Sings the Blues

The Slits - Cut: Again, horrendously underrated in the canon of 70s albums

Grace Jones - Nightclubbing: fell in love with loads of her work but this one is the pick of the bunch

Kathryn Joseph - Bones you have Thrown…: gave this a spin after someone of here said it was their favourite album of the past couple of years. Simple musically (pretty much piano and vocals throughout) but beautiful

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas: Ridiculously gorgeous, I’m a big fan of Beach House and this sounds like it migiht have been an influence.

Also great DiScoveries have been The Raincoats, Wu-Tang (Enter…), Janis Joplin (Pearl), Funkadelic (Maggot Brain), Janelle Monae (Archandroid), Liz Phair (Exile in Guyville), Madvillainy, Nico (Chelsea Girls), Carole King (Tapestry), X-ray Spex, Siouxsie and the Banshees, X (Los Angeles), Somic Youth, Company Flow (Funcrusher Plus), Dirty Projectors (Swing Lo), Operators, Mac Demarco, HVOB, Flying Lotus (Cosmogramma), Liniker os Caramelos…

Fuck me, music is just the best :blush:

11 Likes

Did you know any of their other albums before this? If not, I’d recommend Head Over Heels and Treasure. Both utterly amazing. All of the others are exceptional too

2 Likes