Best album (s) you've discovered this year NOT released this year

I bought Tom Petty’s debut album on a whim from a charity shop. It’s really freaking good!

I don’t think I’d really listened to a whole album of his before, just the hits that everyone knows. Really prefer his vocals on this album, in particular this song

1 Like

U.S. Girls - Half Free, after really enjoying the new one and seeing so much praise for this on the DiS thread. So thanks, guys and (u.s.) girls!

Car Seat Headrest’s Twin Fantasy re-recording if that counts. Incredible stuff. Depending if you count this as eligible for 2018 I think this and Tune-Yards are setting the early pace for AOTY

Been getting into Beck’s catalogue a bit more for All Points East. Still like Sea Change the most, but I’m enjoying Odelay a lot more than I used to. Digging individual tracks off both Morning Phase and Colors but they’re not essential as a whole.

I guess this is the best place to post this but I only just found out that Cloak/Dagger put out their first record in 8 years in 2017 and it’s amazing. No idea how I missed this cuz I loved their first two records (punk/garage really struggles to get coverage huh) anyway, if you enjoyed Hot Snakes’ comeback you should also love this:

I was having a listen to old Scorn albums the other day, sad I never saw them and that Mick Harris had retired from music, only to Google him and find he made an album and EP last year under the Fret monicker. And they’re great. Hurray!

(Could also go under the where are they now thread)

1 Like

Asheran by Dvne.

Taking Neurosis and Tool as a starting ground, it’s the best metal album I’ve heard in years.

1 Like

Jen Cloher from last year. Absolutely love that album.

Linda Guilala from 2016. Brilliant female fronted shoegazing band (despite the name giving the impression it was a solo artist) with Spanish vocals. Great summer album.

1 Like

Got round to Twins this year and oh my.

1 Like

Bright Flight & American Water by Silver Jews
Plowing Into Field Of Love by Iceage
First Narrows by Loscil
Cyrk by Cate Le Bon