Best album (s) you've discovered this year NOT released this year

Nah this was the first one that I heard but checked out Treasure afterwards and that sounds great too :slight_smile: will have to listen to the others when I get the chance!

Head Over Heels is my personal favourite. Kinda their turning point from being a gothy post-punk band to the more ethereal sound they mastered with Treasure and Heaven or Las Vegas. Bit more gritty

Thanks for the recommendation :slight_smile:

Young Fathers - White Men are Black Men Too

heard of them previously but never really listened much. Decided to check them out after their involvement in Trainspotting 2 - love this album now!

Been listening to this a fair bit lately too. Great album

The first or second? At Best Cuckold is an unsung masterpiece

The self titled one. Had it in my head they were a one album wonder. Tell me more.

Second album came out in 2014. Fucking great stuff.

Kathryn Joseph is a virtually unknown gem. Love that album. Captivating live also.

XXX is great but Atrocity Exhibition is an bigger step up in quality

Sufjan Stevens
Cloud Nothings
Lemuria- Get Better

Lemuria is a bit of an under-rated gem - love the vocal interplay between the vocalists - a bit like Evan Dando and Juliana Hatfield if they had recorded (more?) stuff together when they were together (if they in fact were!)

Screaming Females - Rose Mountain. Such a great album, I’m not sure how they’ve completely passed me by until now.

AC Acoustics - Victory Parts - don’t get why these didn’t make it bigger…they mine that US-style early 90s indie-rock sound (Pavement, Buffalo Tom, Superchunk, Posies) that I love but do it so well…maybe they were a little too late as by 97 this stuff had had its days…file alongside Cable as minor-ish late 90s overlooked gems

Nirvana - Nevermind - growing up I sidestepped Nirvana in a kind of protest as an indie-kid against the kids that would only listen to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and GNR. I knew the singles and liked them all but I finally checked this out end to end - and yes its very good

Mazzy Star - Among my swan - I had Flowers in December at the time and I might have even had this come to think of it but I didn’t really appreciate its charms until I checked it recently in a bit of Mazzy Star back catalog

Cranberries - No need to argue - this title is my reaction to the anticipated reply to me posting this. I had totally written off the Cranberries based on perception whilst harbouring a guilty pleasure appreciation of the singles…I am old enough now not to care or do guilt with music (in most cases)…I fully get why people wouldn’t like this but its definitely a keeper for me…

Phosphorescent - 100 times or more - in more back cataloguing of artists I like (one pleasing thing about streaming services) I came to the surprising discovery that Phosphorescent’s debut is in the same high quality ballpark as Muchacho and Pride.

Sonny Rollins - The Bridge - I have to thank PF’s best of 60s feature for turning me onto an untold number of jazz classics. This being the pick of a superb bunch with Andrew Hill’s point of departure a close second

Sweep the leg johnny - Sto Cazzo + 4-9-21-30 - I have the Emo Diaries compilations to thank for many discoveries and most of all these guys at the math-rock, freak-out end of the genre

Zizou Biyake - Noir et blanc - DRC meets French in an Afro-electro soundclash that sounds remarkably contemporary for 1983. Intriguing and very good.

Al Green - let’s stay together - gloriously rich fayre

16 Horsepower - Secret South (one of many highlights in my discography minimg of the Old Testament referencing Nick Cave esque gothic folk rockers)

Murry Hammond - i don’t know where I’m going - country-ish spirituals - first discovered this guy on the amazing modern day interpretations/covers of these old hymns that used to be sang by gathering throngs in the streets as showcased in the great Sacred Arp compilation.

Didn’t even realize how much old music I discovered this year, and I know I’m still forgetting some too. I have no idea how to rank them in quality, so I’ll just do it alphabetically. A huge thanks to everyone on here, without this place I probably only would have heard two or three of these at most.

Amesoeurs - s/t
Blur - 13
Amusement Parks on Fire - s/t
Alcest - Les Voyages de l’Âme
Califone - Quicksand / Cradlesnakes
Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Doves - Lost Souls
Ecstasy of St. Theresa - Susurrate
Eluvium - An Accidental Memory in the Case of Death
Eluvium - Copia
Jesu - Silver EP
Joy Division - Closer
Lilys - In the Presence of Nothing
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Mercury Rev - Boces
Mercury Rev - Yerself Is Steam
Mogwai - Come on Die Young
Mono - Under the Pipal Tree
MBV - Isn’t Anything
Newmoon - Space
PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
Sparklehorse - Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot
Spotlight Kid - Disaster Tourist
Sunny Day Real Estate - s/t
Twilight Sad - Nobody Wants to Be Here, Nobody Wants to Leave
Unwound - Fake Train
Unwound - Repetition

Been listening to the Trilogy by the Weeknd this week, and it works really well as a triple album, well worth your time

only listened to On The Beach by Neil Young for the first time this year and it is very good.

Not an album but I’ve been hammering this track all year

Three albums I listened to last year but didn’t give anywhere near enough time…

Angel Olsen - My Woman
Tycho - Epoch
Oathbreaker - Rheia

His very best IMO