Best album (s) you've discovered this year NOT released this year

These New Puritans - Field of Reeds
I loved their first two but wasn’t in the mood for something chinstrokey when this came out. But it’s just beautiful.

Al Green - Call Me
Also, I’m Still In Love With You. Lush stuff

The Twilight Singers - Twilight As Played By…
A deeply sad and beautiful album from the Dullinator. Only to be played at night

Danny Brown - The Hybrid
Stupidly ignored this as if he just suddenly got good for XXX. A little more “traditional” than his other stuff I guess maybe. The guy can rap his ass off.

Georgia Anne Muldrow & Madlib - Seeds
A joy

The Dismemberment Plan - The Dismemberment Plan Is Terrified!
Like Danny Brown, I ignored this as if they suddenly got good on Emergency & I. Spastic fun

Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation

Pere Ubu - Dub Housing
Tired of writing things

Re the Twilight Sad, if you’ve not heard their debut Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters you should get on that forthwith, absolutely stunning album!

Have you checked out the ep that she worked on with Ariel Pink?

love that Sam Prekop album. his self-titled, too

such a tune

Alex Cameron - Jumping the Shark (2014)

Gurr - In My Head (2016)

These guys are going to be MASSIVE next year

Dead Moon - In the Graveyard/UnknownPassage (1988/89)

this might have been last year, can’t remember, still great anyway

Steve Gunn - Eyes on the Line
Itasca - Open to Chance
Cass McCombs - Mangy Love
Ulrika Spacek - The Album Paranoia
Chris Cohen - As If Apart
William Tyler - Modern Country
Florist - The Birds Outside Sang
Arthur Russell - World of Echo
Carla Dal Forno - You Know What It’s Like
The Goon Sax - Up to Anything
The Courtneys - The Courtneys
Lambchop - FLOTUS

Oh yeah, Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters is amazing and was one of my top discoveries of last year. I can’t believe I had somehow missed it for 9 years. It’s great start to finish, but the second half of that album is really something else.

Been getting into King Gizzard this year off the back of Flying Microtonal Banana. Just got round to checking out I’m Im Your Mind Fuzz this weekend and holy moly.

Not heard the self titled but will put it on my list for this week. I need to listen to more of the Sea and cake too. Any recommendations?

good effort on Unwound, heard the rest yet?

Check out the first Chris Cohen - Overgrown Path if you haven’t already. It was my album of the year it came out. Loved it. The new one I didn’t buy as the clips I heard didn’t impress.

Some of it, I’m quickly getting obsessed with them and am trying to pace myself. A few years ago I finally heard Leaves Turn Inside You and I’ve loved it more and more with each listen, to the point where I now think it’s one of the best and most impressive albums out there. Two weeks ago it really clicked for me, which set off my current Unwound kick. I started losing sleep due to being unable to get “Off this Century” and “Scarlette” out of my head, so I tried to solve the problem by finally giving Fake Train a shot. Which has now only exacerbated things because all it’s done is replace them with “Valenine / Kantina / Were, Are and Was or Is”.

I wasn’t expecting Fake Train to be as good as it is, that first half especially is incredible. For some reason I had assumed it would be kind of generic unfocused hardcore, like how a lot of bands don’t quite figure out how to write songs until their second or third albums. Glad to find out I was 100% wrong.

Repetition is also fantastic, I love it start to finish. “Message Received” is such a great introduction to the album.

Alex Cameron is one artist that makes me squirm.

Was even worse live, especially when Roy Maloy spoke

SO MUCH THIS @WizardLizard

‘Overgrown Path’ is utterly wonderful - and I say wonderful very deliberately, as it genuinely is full of wonder. one of my very favourite records. so dreamy.

To be fair Fake Train is their second/third (depending on how you count it) record, the self-titled 1&2 were written before but weren’t released properly until afterwards. Those first couple are pretty much the more generic hardcore you describe, although there’s some good stuff and potential even in those Eastport records.

Fake Train is the first album with Sarah Lund though which both explains it but also is kind of incredible in itself. Every thing from Fake Train onwards is worth investing your time in, it’s amazing how obsessed one can get with them once you properly fall into that headspace

I think he’s meant to make you squirm a bit no? Either way I’ll answer this after I see him tomorrow :wink:

Aye, I think it’s a case of whether you enjoy that squirming or not. Plus, I don’t enjoy his tunes much.

Hope you enjoy the show!

ALso, he was very nice when I interviewed him so I’m intrigued to see him live. I don’t think his music is amazing by any means and I certainly wouldn’t usually go for something like this but he definitely has… something

@Jahspear Yeah absolutely love Overgrown Path too! It’s such an underrated psyche pop gem with a sound to truly get lost in. Not sure if As If Apart quite reaches those heights either but I’ve still given it a lot of plays!