Best albums of 1991

MJ, naturally.

someone just typed the band name ā€œMarillionā€

Prob got confused cos they have an album called ā€˜fugaziā€™. Weā€™ve all made that mistake before.

Do it!

I saw them tour Liquidiser in 1990. Was pretty good, but Iā€™m sorry I never got to see them tour Doubt.

I donā€™t get how warnā€™s list or your anecdote highlights how poor a year for music 1991 was?

yep

Following on from the Jesus Jones chat, any albums you loved at the time but havenā€™t listened to sinceā€¦ 1991 or so that were very ā€˜of their timeā€™*?

I was well into Never Loved Elvis by the Wonderstuff; Two Sides by Mock Turtles and Spartacus by the Farm. Not to mention Kingmaker; Neds; The Milltown Brothers; Carter USM ā€¦

*sounding like Prole Art Threat here, arenā€™t I??

1991 could just about be defined by this: Carter, Neds, Wonder Stuff, yes, yes, yes. Also: Big Audio Dynamite IIā€™ The Globe

1 Like

Drive Like Jehu, bloody incredible band.

1 Like

The Blue Aeroplanes (Beatsongs) fits that description for me along with Kingmaker & Carter, although I donā€™t think I actually liked them at the time but did listen to them a fair bit. NME loved Kingmaker didnā€™t they? I guess Achtung Baby as well - was trying to like it as Iā€™d been into U2 as a kid and I guess I wanted to like it.

The Levellers fit here donā€™t they?

Slint was my piece in the article, I did consider suggesting Nation of Ulysses too but figured it probably wouldnā€™t have made the cut

1 Like

The best of the wedding present - aka Seamonsters.

1 Like

I think you mean Bizarro.

that came out in 1991 too?

1 Like

Ctrl-F ā€œLovelessā€?

Seriously, seriously?

Harry, Lee, Johnny and his Wife all agree that Bizarro is great and possibly the WPs second best album, but nonetheless they all cower like tiny insignificant nothings under the might of tracks like Corduroy, Dalliance and Heather.

nah, I just meant itā€™s better than Seamonstersā€¦

You have to wait a few seconds for it to do the search. Function is a bit crap :wink:

1 Like

\m/

Fucking love ā€˜Seamonstersā€™ so much.