Best albums of 2019 by an ‘established’ artist

Was thinking last night about what would make my end of year list. And it was noticeable that many of my favourite artists have released albums this year - and many are pretty decent - but can’t think of many that are at least half as good as that artist’s best. I’m thinking of these:

Hot chip, aldous Harding, hey collosus, bill callahan, David berman, angel olsen, oh sees.

I’ll make an exception for Richard Dawson and nick cave whose albums both compare favourably with their best.

So, of bands that have released 3+ albums which others have released career highlights (or close to)
this year?

Tyler, The Creator
Anderson Paak
Yellow Eyes
Oh Sees
American Football
M83
A Winged Victory for the Sullen
Nick Cave ATBS

1 Like

AWVFTS is a good shout.

Thought the Oh Sees album was their weakest for ages, first time in years they won’t be in my top 5.

1 Like

Taylor swift

The new Beirut album is decent, I was disappointed with at least the two previous and wasn’t even going to bother.

3 Likes

Angel Olsen will be top 5 on most publication lists this year.

Sharon van etten but everything she’s done is really very good so calling it a peak is maybe unwarranted

3 Likes

I think it’s probably her best.

The Pedro the Lion comeback album is fantastic and at this point might be my favorite album of theirs that I’ve heard. Nice and depressing.

4 Likes

The new Alcest album is amazing too. It’s much more aggressive than Kodama (which might have become a top 5 album of the decade for me) while keeping a lot of the sadness. The opening song is one of the best things they’ve ever done, I love that sad hook in the intro that comes back later.

2 Likes

Jenny Lewis
Hot Chip
Lightning Bolt
Purple Mountains

I’m only familiar with one of their other albums so I’m not exactly an authority on them, but the new Mono album is great and one of the best of the year. Sad, focused post-rock with some brutal moments of distortion.

1 Like

stronger than Smote imo. not really gone back to Smote in a while and found the new one a bit more engaging and varied.

though as fun as their long proggy freakouts are i still prefer the tighter more focused work they were doing a couple of years ago

1 Like

would also argue Purple Mountains is probably among his best work. certainly his lushest production.

2 Likes

only got round to listening to it the other day. the full album didn’t quite keep my focus on the first go but the first two tracks blew me away a bit given that i was expecting more of the same

I’m getting the sense that nearly everyone but me is sick of them, but The National’s new album is one of the best of the year. All of their albums are so close together in quality.

3 Likes

I almost forgot what’s possibly the best one. I discovered Pile through their new album and haven’t gotten around to their earlier ones yet, but I can’t imagine Green and Gray not being close to a career highlight. It’s shooting up my best of the decade list.

2 Likes

Last year I was blown away by Low’s ‘Double Negative’. I remember thinking ‘I loved these guys in my teens and I can’t believe that I’m in my 40s now and they’re still making music that a) blows me away and b) sounds so different from the stuff they made back then. Bet there won’t be another artist capable of achieving that combination for a long time’.

This year: Nick Cave releases Ghosteen.

2 Likes

The new Wand album is a great sprawling lovely thing and feels very accomplished, even if I still personally prefer the heavy psych and spaced out fuzz of their second album Golem.

3 Likes

Cate Le Bon

4 Likes