Best Albums of The Year 2018 - Listageddon

This is a good one. Not necessarily based on me agreeing with it, but I have checked out the most records from this compared to any other list. How can you not be inspired by this:

“In a live setting, The Armed has been known to pack the stage with a small army of guitarists while a man in a ghillie suit and a selfie-obsessed woman calmly drink wine and eat mussels off a picnic table in the middle of the pit as madness ensues around them.”

1 Like

Low + Double Negative = 47

I’m no mathematician, but I’m not sure that’s the right answer.

1 Like

This Pitchfork list is really horrendous. I know they’re getting away from indie rock and that’s totally fine, but in a year with so much incredible, frenetic anxiety-based / zeitgeist-capturing punk-based albums, you can’t omit every single song from every single one of them and instead go with a standard Kurt “that’s just the way things is” Vile song as an obligatory “rock” pick.

2 Likes

BNM albums that didn’t make the list:

Saba (8.7)
Car Seat Headrest (8.6)
Tim Hecker (8.5)
Father John Misty (8.5)
Mount Eerie (8.5)
Jean Grae/Quelle Chris (8.4)
Jeff Tweedy (8.3)
Joey Purp (8.3)
The Carters (8.2)
Mudboy (8.2)

This is full of sooooo many albums that disappointed me this year.

My mistake, Mudboy is there

i assume a lot of people are leaving out Car Seat Headrest as they don’t regard it as a new album as such

:sunglasses::wave:

Having seen that, you think they must have had a BIG role in booking for Primavera next year. Primavera is somehow more Pitchfork than Pitchfork fest is :joy:

5 Likes

Very on brand how they used the writeup of the Deafheaven album to shit over Billy Corgan for no reason.

1 Like

Of course, George Clarke’s tonsil-ripping growl remains several degrees more fearsome and ferocious than even Billy Corgan’s most anguished wails, but then, what do you think a raging rat in a cage is supposed to sound like?

Seriously, what does that even mean? It’s just word association.

So basically everything they have recommended this year :man_shrugging:

20 best of the year from the ever reliable @GoldFlakePaint

Editor's Choice - 20 Favourite Songs of 2018 - GoldFlakePaint

5 Likes

AnyDecentMusic have their Poll Of Polls up and running:

Pretty song, but Innocence Mission have been writing tunes likes that for nearly 30 years. Unusual choice for the '#1 spot.

Not my first choice either, but can appreciate why people would put it there. Is a beautiful track.

Yeah, great to see them getting a bit of attention.