Best Albums of The Year 2018 - Listageddon

The Kanye one…

1 Like

Probably Wolf Alice again

2 Likes

Like that list - really strong, varied, top 4 and the right number 1!

3 Likes

Great album.

This list has been very pop heavy since I can remember, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard less songs on it. Possibly more to do with my lack of attention to pop music or mainstream radio this year than anything.

A pleasant surprise to see Lonnie Holly up there in the top 20 among the years hottest Radio 1 hits though.

I swear The 1975 were about as popular as Ed Sheeran in the music press until a few months ago, was I totally off the mark?

1 Like

There’s been a bit of a critical realignment between the last album and this. They already had their fans (e.g @sean and this website) but their mainstream popularity has shone through and depending how you see it, the likes of Pitchfork have either come around, or they’re riding on the coattails.

They gave the last album a 6.5, but I’m sure if it was reissued now it’d be an 8.5 already.

Feel like my brain has turned to goo when I read the write-ups and then actually listen to the 1975.

What the hell is going on? Beyond shite.

3 Likes

Same. I’m chalking it up to be me being too old now (but secretly chalking it up to everyone else being idiots).

3 Likes

This is a good one. Not necessarily based on me agreeing with it, but I have checked out the most records from this compared to any other list. How can you not be inspired by this:

“In a live setting, The Armed has been known to pack the stage with a small army of guitarists while a man in a ghillie suit and a selfie-obsessed woman calmly drink wine and eat mussels off a picnic table in the middle of the pit as madness ensues around them.”

1 Like

Low + Double Negative = 47

I’m no mathematician, but I’m not sure that’s the right answer.

1 Like

This Pitchfork list is really horrendous. I know they’re getting away from indie rock and that’s totally fine, but in a year with so much incredible, frenetic anxiety-based / zeitgeist-capturing punk-based albums, you can’t omit every single song from every single one of them and instead go with a standard Kurt “that’s just the way things is” Vile song as an obligatory “rock” pick.

2 Likes

BNM albums that didn’t make the list:

Saba (8.7)
Car Seat Headrest (8.6)
Tim Hecker (8.5)
Father John Misty (8.5)
Mount Eerie (8.5)
Jean Grae/Quelle Chris (8.4)
Jeff Tweedy (8.3)
Joey Purp (8.3)
The Carters (8.2)
Mudboy (8.2)

This is full of sooooo many albums that disappointed me this year.

My mistake, Mudboy is there

i assume a lot of people are leaving out Car Seat Headrest as they don’t regard it as a new album as such