Best Albums of The Year 2018 - Listageddon

It would make sense if only 100 albums had been released in the year

3 Likes

Even then they would’ve meant the median not the mean?

True, but at least we’d understand what he was trying to say

Suddenly, pedants!

We frequently operate in a fairly pedantic mode round here.

1 Like

You said that Fopp had deemed the Smashing Pumpkins album the average album released this year. Which was just a baffling thing to say…

1 Like

Although it is a fascinating idea that would could determine what the precise ‘average album’ of the year is. More interesting than all this arguing about the ‘best’.

A Perfect Circle??

highly doubtful face

BBC 6 Music

1 Like

Interesting list isn’t it? A few I’ve not checked out to investigate. Still trying to get into Idles but - like the first time you find an ale you like after years of lager - I think Mclusky and Future or the Left have ruined brash rock bands like this for me. People seem to genuinely adore Idles and are really emotionally affected by it but I think my numbness to the news and need to escape the realities of modern life has led me to retreat from listening to records about now.

I probably should check out Khruangbin. I tend to roll my eyes over ‘political’ music a lot of the time but I really like the Idles album, a lot of it is more personal than political anyway

Number One - “exclusive Piccadilly Bonus Disc Edition” - awk I do love a bit of coincidence.

3 Likes

What you say reflects almost identically why I resisted Idles for so long. I finally relented and bought the album and it’s completely brilliant- the black humour lifts it above the fray and stops it from being too ‘worthy’.

3 Likes

Ha, I’m prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one as they’ve a good track record in added value when it comes to the end of year lists - often squeeze in bonus discs or artist mixes etc.

Must admit I’ve never heard of her before. She’s probably a bit obscure for any nefarious greasing of palms…unless the Pic Rec crew really wanted to get their hands on that exclusive three outtakes CD!

1 Like

Childqueen. Good album. You should give it a listen if you haven’t yet … one of my 23 favourite albums released in June :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is surely no higher praise than this! :wink:

Thanks, will give it a listen.

2 Likes

I’d never heard of until I saw it on this list. It’s a little pearl. Piccadilly is an excellent record shop and their list is always worth investigating.

Man, I love you @bornin69x - you replied to my post when I mentioned this album back on 13 June. (If I was more adept at this computer stuff I would link our exchanges, but I am not.) I think the brilliance of the Hilary Woods release that week probably (understandably) blinded you to the understated gem that is Childqueen.

1 Like

Ha! Indeed not, sir! I can provide details of the other 22, if you were so inclined …:rofl:

1 Like

There were, as you say, a LOT of good albums released in June.