Best and Worst Irish-themed Pubs

O’SHEAS!!!

O’SHEAS, red armeh

2 Likes

When I was a teenager we had two here called The Shamrock and The Irish Oak that were three doors down from each other and run by the same family.
The Irish Oak is where I went with my friends from the ages of 16-19 and it was amazing. Dingy in the best way, stained glass type windows, pool table we all spent hours playing and when you ordered a pint it was something ridiculous like £2 cause half the pumps weren’t attached to anything so it’d just be a can from a fridge poured into a pint glass. Drank so many cider and blacks there like the classy lady I am (vivid memory of walking home from there once and throwing up bright purple into the snow :D). Remember a really sweet old Irish man who’d always be in the corner but his accent was so thick I don’t think I ever understood a full sentence he said.
Only went to The Shamrock once for some sort of a gig but I did get fingered so winner winner.

RIP my loves, gone but never forgotten x

3 Likes

Proper spot, table service if they know you, hooky telly for the 3pm kick offs, if there’s a GAA game on they’ll still put united on for us on one of the small tellys at the back

3 Likes

The Five Points bar in Belfast is a shitty irish themed pub. They’ve gone out of their way to make it more like a pub you’d get out in the country but the falseness of it is quite unnerving and annoying.

1 Like

Is it actually a themed pub now? I haven’t been in since it was Auntie Annie’s. It had another name in between those didn’t it?

I’m trying to work out why “the man in charge is from Belfast” is listed as one of the negatives

1 Like

Absolutely no idea. There’s Celtic and republic stuff everywhere in the pub too so it’s obviously not an Orange drinking den.

1 Like

There’s one Irish-themed Irish pub in Dublin that I know of (dunno what to class the Temple Bar places as, they’re just…there)

But this place slap bang in the middle of dublin is quite something:

They sell wd40 and stuff and I think it must be deliberately dirty? it’s rank in there

1 Like

Always been very fascinated with the way the format/concept/idea has filtered out across the world. Remember someone I know ending up in an Irish pub in Ulaanbaatar while on a big trip, it was run by a local who’d never been to Ireland and had pictures of the British royal family on the walls.

Just did a Google and it turns out there are loads of “Irish pubs” there

The Grand Khaan Irish Pub, lovely stuff

6 Likes

it was called The Bar With No Name (ugh) for a little while and painted bright yellow. but inside it was exactly the same as Auntie Annies (same gig posters and everything) only they’d painted some of it purple. still had the occasional gig upstairs but just local stuff as they weren’t connected to the Limelight anymore. was alright for a quiet pint but was often a bit dead towards the end.

now it’s been completely stripped and refitted and turned into a Temple Bar type place. only been in once or twice but i remember someone playing a trad version of Coldplay. i’m not sure why they changed the name again from The Five Points to The Points.

they’ve opened ‘An Síbín’ in the bit that used to be Pizza Hut now which they’ve tried to make look really vintage and old despite being brand new (it’s nice enough for a quiet afternoon pint tbh but it’s a bit try hard)

2 Likes

a good namesake so i’ll forgive the misspelling of Flann

1 Like

Best one near me (New Cross edition)…

Nice cosy pub, reasonably priced pints, opens on Christmas Day. Fucking nightmare when Millwall are at home however.

Worst one near me…

HUGE place but annoyingly rubbish. They have scaffolded over that entire front area and tarpaulined it since the pandemic hit so it now feels like entering the Industrial Zone of The Crystal Maze.

1 Like

It’s definitely made up to look like it’s a more aged establishment than it actually is. I think one part of it also has a shop like you’d see in proper rural Ireland once upon a time

After Auntie Annies it was called ‘The Bar With No Name’ :person_facepalming:

Basically what ic smic said

2 Likes

Walked past that before, fakest looking thing I’ve seen. Deliberately aping pubs like that in the rest of the country. The state of it.

This post paid for by PROF$.

3 Likes

never been in there but any time i pass it i’m surprised it’s still there. seems like an odd concept. but apparently they’ve branched out.

seems pointless to try and open a new bar that’s pretending to be really old, in a city full of actual really old pubs. if you can’t put “mentioned in Ulysses” or “Patrick Kavanagh used to get drunk and start fights here” on the wall then what’s the point?

yeah the An Síbín part i remember having like old fashioned groceries behind the till which is a bit cringe (though i don’t think they go so far as to sell them like that Dublin hardware place)

they do free Irish lessons in there sometimes during the week which i have been tempted by but ultimately not bothered

1 Like

We always used to go here when we went to primavera (nearest bar to our hotel). It stretched the definition of ‘Irish pub’ quite thin tbf.

https://goo.gl/maps/mQur6M2C9Hp4fDF19

1 Like

I always liked Roche’s in Mitchelstown; half pub, half bike shop.

This post paid for by PROF$.

4 Likes

Used to drink here when I was a student in Manchester. It wasn’t Irish-themed, but the landlord was Irish and they used to have collections ‘for the boys’.

2 Likes

there’s a pub in my hometown that’s in an old farm house, still divided up into various rooms downstairs and up, all with their own fireplace and roaring fire.

if it was in a tourist spot it’d absolutely become a shitty theme pub, filling it with trad musicians and dressing their bar staff in waistcoats and absolutely raking it in, but instead it’s in a shitty little town so it’s got no pretence whatsoever and is completely taken for granted - instead they have a DJ playing 80s power ballads at an earsplitting volume on Saturday nights, and a cantankerous owner who might sell you a carryout at the end of the night if there are no police around.

reckon it would be great if they could strike a nice midpoint between those two extremes

5 Likes