Best ever run of albums

And MM…Food was solid too!

I just found it very generic. I definitely need to give it another listen.

You could argue a case for taking Divers out but the musical progression over those first 3 records is really astonishing.

1 Like

Divers is in for me. Flawless run and best artist of the last 15 yrs without doubt.

1 Like

Beastie boys. All of them up to 5 boroughs

Some emo and raps:

Scarface — The World Is Yours, The Diary, The Untouchable, My Homies, The Last of a Dying Breed, The Fix

Sunny Day Real Estate — Diary, LP2, How It Feels to Be Something On, The Rising Tide

Appleseed Cast — Mare Vitalis, Low Level Owl, Two Conversations, Peregrine

UGK — Too Hard To Swallow, Super Tight, Ridin Dirty

T.I. — I’m Serious, Trap Muzik, Urban Legend, King

2 Likes

Divers is amazing, possibly her best.

1 Like

Just dawned on my that Sufjan’s last three albums are:

• Illinois
  • Age of Adz
  • Carrie & Lowell

That’s pretty astonishing.

1 Like

Pin Ups is a studio album though, so that breaks the chain a bit. Wikipedia says it’s a studio album, at least.

For me it’s definitely Station to Station to Heroes.

1 Like

Pulp

Separations - His ‘n’ Hers - Different Class - This Is Hardcore - We Love Life

I think you can legitimately ignore a covers record knocked off in a couple of days to keep the band busy (and Pinups is actually pretty ok anyway). There are lots of amazing three album runs within the longer run. The one you mention is probably the best, but Hunky Dory - Ziggy - Aladdin Sane runs it close.

Never got into Age of Adz. Sure its a technically stunning work but it just feels like it has loads of guff covering his excellent compositions and melodies. Carrie & Lowell is really a testament of how much he can do with so little and I prefer it. Its actually my favorite of the three.

As Illinois has a few too many songs and Chicago and a few other tracks go on for two minutes too long. Also not sure on ending the album with two Steve Reich imitations. That said Come On! Feel the Illinoise!, Predotory Wasp, and Tallest Man Broadest shoulders are among my favourite songs ever.

Reported for having a wrong opinion

MBV’s Creation years, if we’re counting EPs.

boring but true dadrock opinion: Led Zeppelin: I through Physical Graffiti.

1 Like

I came on here to say exactly that (including that it’s a boring but true dad rock opinion).

But then I thought to myself, I’m not sure I like III much.

In fact I’m not really into I-IV at all (even though there is a lot of great stuff scattered across them).

Bit controversial, but I’d go for Houses of the Holy - Physical Graffiti - Presence. That middle-era of their career is overlooked imo, I personally prefer it to their really iconic first four albums. Presence is a really underrated album, I think. Has at least 2 killer tracks and the final track Tea for One is also brilliant (sounds a bit like Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands to me, has that same mood).

I’d say House of the Holy is the weakest of their first 6, but still very good.

III is great and gets a bit overlooked outside of Immigrant Song. I wouldn’t necessarily call it underrated, but it seems like only Immigrant Song gets attention.

Not sure about Presence; I like it, but it kind of feels like it was done better elsewhere. Taken on its own, it’s fine, but the highs don’t quite reach the same heights as previous albums.

personal favourites,
Go-Betweens -
Before Hollywood to 16 Lovers Lane (all classics for me)

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds -
very consistent discog, particularly Tender Prey to Murder Ballads

Yo La Tengo -
Painful to And Then Nothing…

Dirty Three -
Sad & Dangerous to Cinder

III is my favourite. Immigrant Song, Friends, Celebration Day, That’s The Way, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp Since I’ve Been Loving You, Gallows Pole. Full of bangers.

For a run I like a lot that’s made of pretty contrasting albums – Manics: Gold Against The Soul, The Holy Bible, Everything Must Go.

PJ Harvey

Dry - Rid of Me - To Bring You My Love - Is This Desire? - Stories From The City…

*just realised PJ was mentioned in the first reply

2 Likes

Sleater-Kinney
Call The Doctor through to No Cities To Love

8 Likes