Best films of 2017 DiS users poll!

It was good but no way is it as good as people are making out

Idk I saw it right after an hour long academic talk about the history of US racial politics on film and how Get Out reflects all of this etc so it was a pretty outstanding experience for me. No idea if it would have resounded quite so heavily with me if Iā€™d just gone to the cinema of course.

So much this. I pretty much wonā€™t go in any thread with more than a couple of hundred unread replies, so I just avoid the mega film/politics etc ones. Would love to see them closed after a certain time. (might be easier on the server, too?)

1. Manchester by the Sea
  2. Dunkirk
  3. The Handmaiden
  4. Call Me By Your Name
  5. Toni Erdmann

Moonlight
The Florida Project
Manchester by the Sea
Blade Runner 2049
Lady Macbeth

That was well fucking difficult.
Toni Erdmann, Dunkirk, Logan, The Last Jedi, My Life as a Courgette. So sorry.

Also, not seen The Levelling, The Handmaiden or Logan Lucky which may also have pushed for top fives.

its Dunkirk, m8s.

1 Like

FTFY

1. Moonlight
  2. Certain Women
  3. Paddington 2
  4. Lady Macbeth
  5. The Handmaiden

Clearly missed something with Get Out (which I thought was fine but nothing special) as itā€™s getting a lot of love in a number of end of year polls (both here and elsewhere).

1 Like

Definitely isnā€™t, m8

2 Likes

Looking at how many of mine overlap with yours, Iā€™d really recommend The Handmaiden.

1 Like

According to Letterboxd I have seen 30 2017 films, Iā€™m struggling to make a top 5 out of them

1. Get Out
  2. It Comes at Night
  3. Bad Day for the Cut
  4. I Donā€™t Feel at Home in this World Any More
  5. Logan Lucky

thought the first two were decent and the third one seems to be getting a good write up, but I just canā€™t bring myself to care about it :person_shrugging:

will probably catch it once itā€™s on netflix

1 Like

What others did you see (other than RTJ)?

Genuinely interested, not a dig.

Fair enough, except for Covenant, which I thought was a pile of poo.

1 Like

Finally got my own list sorted, top 3 are way ahead with lots of good films competing for last 2 spots.

1. Manchester by the Sea
  2. Moonlight
  3. The Florida Project
  4. Blade Runner 2049
  5. Trainspotting 2

SO thatā€™s vote for Star Wars

AH SO youā€™ll be having a cup of tea now

Itā€™s a typo/talking shite

1 Like

Go on thenā€¦

1. Toni Erdmann
  2. My Life As A Courgette
  3. Moonlight
  4. Call Me By Your Name
  5. The Florida Project

Thereā€™s a twenty and a lot of tl:dr waffle on my letterboxd here, if anyone uses that: ā€Žsambourner Films of 2017, a list of films by Sam Bourner ā€¢ Letterboxd

Best:

1. Thor: Ragnarok
  2. Get Out
  3. Dunkirk
  4. It
  5. Wonder Woman

Recommended: Logan Lucky, American Made, Fast 8 (seriously), Kong, A Monster Calls, John Wick 2.