Best jokes of the Edinburgh Fringe 2023

It’s really annoying me that they’re in the 2022 thread. Don’t know what that other list was about either last week.

Quite astonishing how bad these are.

1. I started dating a zookeeper, but it turned out he was a cheetah - Lorna Rose Treen
  2. The most British thing I’ve ever heard? A lady who said ‘Well I’m sorry, but I don’t apologise.’ - Liz Guterbock
  3. Last year I had a great joke about inflation. But it’s hardly worth it now - Amos Gill
  4. When women gossip we get called bitchy; but when men do it’s called a podcast - Sikisa
  5. I thought I’d start off with a joke about The Titanic - just to break the ice - Masai Graham
  6. How do coeliac Germans greet each other? Gluten tag - Frank Lavender
  7. My friend got locked in a coffee place overnight. Now he only ever goes into Starbucks, not the rivals. He’s Costa-phobic - Roger Swift
  8. I entered the ‘How not to surrender’ competition and I won hands down - Bennett Arron
  9. Nationwide must have looked pretty silly when they opened their first branch - William Stone
  10. My grandma describes herself as being in her “twilight years” which I love because they’re great films - Daniel Foxx

Shouldve been number 1

The zookeeper joke is unfathombly shit

Others are fine enough

4 Likes

That’s inflation for you

4 Likes

Actually I think it’s more that the really bad ones pollute the rest of the list.

Numbers 1 and 7 are the worst

“Now he only ever goes into Starbucks, not the rivals”

Why even bother with that bit??

5 Likes

9 is alright

4 Likes

My mate got stuck in a coffee shop on the Spanish coast with Anthony from blue. Which is a nightmare for him because he’s Costa-phobic

Would have been a far better structure for it

14 Likes

This one is the best on the list (still not actually funny, obv) but the punchline is just nicked from a different one liner (6.30 is the best time of day, hands down)

5 Likes

I wouldnt say the punchline was nicked because the context is completely different

They’re exactly the same joke just with a different set-up. It’s like they heard the time one and worked backwards from the end.

1 Like

The Nationwide one brought up a slight smile.

Edinburgh Fringe can get in the bin for me, though.

3 Likes

I just saw this on the BBC and came straight here to register my astonishment. What an absolutely appalling bunch of words.

4 Likes

I hate the Fringe

1 Like

Number 1 doesn’t even make sense, should be something something big cat

3 Likes

Oh someone on Twitter uplevelled it to “started dating someone from the zoo, thought he was a keeper, but turned out to be a cheetah” which is far better

11 Likes

I dated a cryptozoologist who was a lion cheetah.

I started dating a cheetah. Didnt work out. Turns out they were a predator

3 Likes

That zoopkeeper one REALLY annoys me. Maybe it works better in context :face_with_diagonal_mouth: but…. It just doesn’t make sense. It needs to be an animal to another animal.

Here’s my better (still shit but i reckon 10 more minutes and I’ll have nailed it) version -

‘I was dating one of the players in the England and woman’s football team, one of the lionesses, turns out she was a etc etc etc’

Edit - I’m keeping ‘ England and woman’s’ even though it is a typo! I’m delivering it like stath let’s flats

3 Likes

Yes!!

I believe former disser and Time Out theatre critic Lukowski was at least partly responsible for this:

https://twitter.com/MrLukowski/status/1693879893052756025?t=bRN-exEuyBR_5mw_slKSXQ&s=19

2 Likes