Best Miles Davis Album Recs

jazz

I have In a Silent Way and I really like it.

What should I get next?

i haven’t got into his more seminal stuff despite trying to like Kind of Blue, but Birth of the Cool is a lot of fun.

Based on that go for Tribute to Jack Johnson, it’s in a similar vein

For something that’s got the jazz rock thing going on but a bit weirder, try ESP (earlier) or Bitches Brew (later)

Cheers.

Not necessarily after something similar it’s just the only one I have.

Definitely definitely get Kind of Blue. 'Round About Midnight is good for that kinda stuff as well.

Also maybe check out On the Corner - he made it when he felt like jazz wasn’t connecting with African American youth anymore so it was an attempt at a funk record (sorta). Really sounds like nothing else I’ve ever heard.

Thanks a lot. I’ll go and have a listen

And completely brilliant.

Obviously go Sketches of Spain too.

Bitches Brew
Jack Johnson
On The Corner

None of these sound like Kind of Blue but they’re all excellent.

this is very hard! dont want to over recommend and say everything between 1958-1974, altho you should at some point hear all those.

i guess a next 5 from me excluding in a silent way and kind of blue (because that should def be where you go next):

• Filles De Kilimanjaro
  • Porgy and Bess
  • Miles Smiles
  • Get Up with It
  • Big Fun

If you want an excellent one album overview of his electric era then look no further than Panthalassa, which fair blew my mind when I first heard it. Before that I had Kind Of Blue, Bitches Brew, Sketches Of Spain and In A Silent Way. Afterwards I delved deeper into his electric period, especially live albums like Dark Magus. Some of it is hard work but when it clicks it’s music like no other. This one though, get it for a beautiful taster and reconstruction of that era.
https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Panthalassa-The-Music-Of-Miles-Davis-1969-1974/release/119868

I started off with The best of CD “essential Miles Davis”. I’d argue its one of the best ways to get into Miles.

23 tracks - Has tracks from all his eras - starting with Charlie Parker and runs through to the Tutu album so you can get an overview of his different eras.

Cant go wrong with Miles apart from maybe his last few albums!

I’d recommend Miles Second Great quintet albums ESP, Nefertiti & Miles Smiles. Great band- Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, T Williams & Ron Carter.
This era doesn’t come up as often in these recommendations but id put it up there with the others and well worth checking out.

I’d totally forgotten Silent Way!

Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew and Nefertiti are the ones I go back to the most (also Kind of Blue)

I’ve tried Bitches Brew a few times over the years and I just can’t get my head round it. I’ll give another thumbs up to the Sketches of Spain and On The Corner recommendations though. Kind of Blue is still the ultimate.

I like his albums with his second (I think???) quintet - John Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers, and Philly Joe Jones. Some say they’re the best band to have ever played together, and they might be right!!!

'Round About Midnight is the famous one. There’s one just called Miles, which is my favourite. Light, bright, breezy, uplifting, cool.

Then they did a series of four albums - Cookin’, Relaxin’, Workin’, and Steamin’. Relaxin’ is probably the best one, and if you download it from Jonny Trunk’s site, he includes his cover of Nature Boy as a bonus track (which appears to be his favourite song.)

Three other absolutely indispensable albums:

Milestones - on which he basically invented modal jazz. Well, he didn’t invent it. But it was his first experiment in the style, which makes it one of the most influential albums of all time. It’s also got a song called Billy Boy, featuring just his rhythm section, which is insanely joyous.

Ascenseur pour l’échafaud - Soundtrack to a noirish French crime film. Smokey, cinematic, elegant, and some of the coolest music ever recorded.

Seven Steps to Heaven - On which Miles plays the blues! Sort of! Effortlessly cool. Goes well with coffee.

If you prefer his fusion stuff, you need to check out the following live albums:

• Dark Magus
  • Agharta
  • Pangaea
  • Live Evil

Hope this helps!

One that hasn’t been mentioned and has something in common with In a Silent Way is Get Up With It - a great and very underrated album. It’s a bit of a mishmash but the two long tracks on it are fantastic and some come from sessions made with the In a Silent Way band and provide an interesting counterpoint to it.

Otherwise I would endorse the recommendations of Jack Johnson (a bit more ‘funky’ than In a Silent Way) and Filles de Kilimanjaro (a bit more ‘jazzy’). They are both great albums and probably the obvious recommendations given they are the studio albums either side of In a Silent Way.

If you want to explore more widely you should definitely listen to Kind of Blue (don’t be put off by its ubiquity - it’s popular for a reason) and the Gil Evans collaborations (Sketches of Spain, Porgy and Bess and Miles Ahead). They are all sky-scraping classics. There are many more Miles records that are in that class or close.

uh hum

but yeah it’s really great! He Loved Him Madly is top-notch Miles, about as good as it gets.

Alright I’ve been listening to Miles since this thread started and don’t see that letting up for the next week. Got some new IEMs so I’m loving the hell out of this atm. Been a while since I dove deep. Still plenty to discover.

Sorry - inefficient skim reading is one of my vices.