Best Miles Davis Album Recs

Stunning album, definitely one of his best. If you like it have a listen to Get Up With It, which has some overlaps with it (otherwise In a Silent Way is pretty unique in his catalogue)

1 Like

My favourites in no particular order (except for Number 1):

In a Silent Way - basically what i always wanted from a jazz record.
Sketches of Spain
Porgy & Bess
Bitches Brew
Dark Magus
On the Corner
Live Evil

and yes, the autobiography was a great read. Such an interesting guy although clearly was a bit of a motherfucker himself.

oops if theres a more recent miles thread

started doing a thing on saturday mornings where if im a bit hungover ill chill in bed for a couple of hours listening to jazz and daydreaming and reading my book.

put big fun on for the first time ever and it was one of the best music listening experiences ive had in years. just properly got in the zone, was floating listening to recollections.

loved my time.

3 Likes

I bought Sketches in Spain cos it was less than 4 quid on rarewaves

I have very little frame of reference for Jazz in general, never mind Miles Davis.

whelp

Try Get Up With It, also, if you haven’t already. Similar to Big Fun, an album Teo Macero pulled together from sessions whilst Miles had his lost few years.

Teo doesn’t get the props he deserves for helping develop that cut n’ paste production style from jam sessions; it’s essentially what Makaya McCraven does now.

2 Likes

yeah thats a great one.

i was reading on saturday about how a lot of those early mid 70s records were taken from the sessions around 69/70 and they were just fiddling around with the tapes they had from them for years on end. so cool.