Best Music Films

Stop Making Sense of course, but what else?

Docs or concert films, both are fine.

While we’re here, can I just say that if you’ve never seen Stop Making Sense before, you need to do that.

I’d have to go with The Best of Music Films, personally.

5 Likes

You do tickle me

1 Like

Dig! with The Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre was good, wasn’t it?

And I say that as someone who does not like and is uninterested by both of those bands.

4 Likes

I like the documentary films Time is Illmatic, Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap and Beats Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest

I also like the concert film: Shut Up and Play the Hits

2 Likes

Bros: After the Screaming Stops

8 Likes

Has anyone seen that Spike Lee Beastie Boys joint?

I watched it a couple of nights ago, enjoyed it a lot. It speeds over some aspects of their career and deep dives into others, but I like the fact that it focuses on their particular parts of it all rather than thinly touching everything and enjoyed the semi-choreographed format. Some people wonder why they made the decision to do the narrative in front of an audience but I’m guessing it’s because these guys are natural performers and the way to get the best out of them was to put them on stage (massive guess though).

Particularly liked how much time it spent on the first two albums, but seemed a shame that they don’t look back so fondly on Paul’s Boutique in retrospect.

2 Likes

thought the live format would be weird but it works really well. keeps it engaging.

2 Likes

See, you could have posted this first and we’d all have gone home happier. You don’t have to joke all the time ma0sm. You’re a good lad and I believe in you.

You ask too much of me

1 Like

Bandslam

Bird on a Wire is very very fascinating to see the mental space Leonard Cohen was in at the time (plus many of the live versions of songs are astonishing)

3 Likes

We Are the Best
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
that minutemen documentary

2 Likes

oh the first two don’t fit your prescription

Decline of Western Civilization

3 Likes

That’s fine though, We Are The Best is a nice little film, never seen Hedwig

Got me for a moment there

Rolling Thunder Review
What Happened Miss Simone?
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
Scott Walker: 30th Century Man
I Called Him Morgan

It’s widely written off because of the terrible album it spawned but Some Kind of Monster is dead funny.

7 Likes