Best Music Films

All Tomorrow’s Parties :blush:

1 Like

Ladies And Gentlemen The Fabulous Stains :fist:

2 Likes

Is ‘Slow Century’ (the Pavement one) any good?

Haha yeah, I remember forcing my friends in high school to watch it with me without having watched it first myself, it was a very stressful experience. There’s a certain dopey charm though in how uncomfortable they all seem at times. It’s weird because their stage banter back then was usually pretty clever and funny in that dry, knowing way.

Those performances will never get old though, and it was great getting the DVD and having a whole other concert at the end.

last weeks episode of river dale was hedwig themed

Does anyone know where you can watch that Slow Club documentary?

I watched it on YouTube once and I liked it.

1 Like

The Arthur Russell doc is pretty good imo, I’ve not read the book on him yet but it was pretty comprehensive.

It was on YouTube a week ago, seemed ok, more of a career retrospective than any real deep dive. It had lots of good live archival footage also. Im not a pavement fan & I liked it so I’d say give it a shot

1 Like

Searching For Sugar Man
Sound City
Heaven Adores You
Amy
Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
Ken Burns “Jazz”
The Temptations
Keep On Keepin On
Rumble- Indians Who Rocked The World
Tom Dowd and the Language of Music
Buena Vista Social Club

3 Likes

Been trying to see this for a while now and just got around to watching it. Wow. One of the most profoundly beautiful films I’ve seen in a long time. Thank you for the heads-up.

1 Like

Wilco one is free to watch for a while or make donation for charity

2 Likes

I watched the Beastie Boys documentary/live history thing this week, it was brilliant. Had me in tears in the last part too.

We Jam Econo has got to be up there with the best music documentaries for me, someone’s put it up in full on youtube. Mike Watt is a fucking great man.

1 Like

The Elliott Smith doc Heaven Adores You has been added to Amazon Prime.

4 Likes

I watched Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda today, it was good.

Awesome I Shot That! (Beastie Boys) is highly recommended.

1 Like

I enjoyed “Mistaken For Strangers” also (The National). You don’t have to love the band to enjoy the film and it has some genuinely funny and moving moments.

Where You’re Meant To Be is very good.
Aidan Moffat road trips around Scotland trying to reinvent old folk tunes.
Funny and poignant in equal measure.

2 Likes

Not sure if it counts as a music doc, but “Being Frank: the Chris Sievey Story” is incredible! “Frank” was good as well even though it’s a fictionalised account

1 Like

Thanks for heads up, just added to my watchlist.

1 Like