Best novellas/short novels

Y’know, like death in venice, call of the wild, animal farm, heart of darkness. That kind of thing.

Other good ones? Maybe more recent?

Cheets

I have almost certainly failed in my reading challenge for this year so would also like to know some good ones

Didnt mean to call you all ‘cheets’ incidentally.

2 Likes

Changed my mind on Crying of Lot 49, which I was a bit down on first time. Loved it second time round.

Pretty much anything by Salinger, too. I’m even a fan of the later stuff.

Han Kang’s two novels are fairly short and both quite ibterestibg as well

the stranger? that’s pretty short

Just remembered ‘signs preceeding the end of the world’, about a mexican border crossing. Really good.

Seven Terrors by Selvedin Avdic’s very good

You can read my novella-ella-ella

I really liked Jamilia by Chingiz Aitmatov
also Under the Jaguar Sun by Calvino (though it’s really 3 different senses themed short stories I guess)

I recently enjoyed The Peculiar Life of a Lonely Postman by Denis Thériault

I would recommend it if you like French Canadian fiction, lonely postmen, peculiar lives and haikus.

The tale of a boy who accidentally kills his friend instead of stopping for a burger
Who deals with it by interviewing a bunch of burger joint cooks

2 Likes

I searched high and low for burger information. I interviewed over fifty chosen-at-random victims to tell me their personal experiences eating burgers.

love love love this book

2 Likes

Does Slaughterhouse 5 count? Pretty short isn’t it.

Everyone knows Primo Levi here right? If you don’t definitely check out his short stories because they’re pretty much GOAT

But it’s more of a massive poem

I came to post this book. You beat me to it. A brilliant choice. An amazing book.

I thought you were trying to make your new nickname happen, Cheets.

read Fox 8 by George Saunders recently, pretty good