• Animals (1977)
  • The Wall (1979)
  • The Final Cut (1983)
  • A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
  • The Division Bell (1994)
  • The Endless River (2014)

0 voters

extrapolate below if you like.

Probably WYWH, but have a huge soft spot for The Division Bell due to listening to it loads during childhood. Cheers dad.

Which is the shortest one?

hurrrr

DSOTM. But WYWH and The Division Bell are also very good.

Meddle, AHM and Animals are good also but for me they are “second tier”. “Echoes” is good but is a bit over-rated; it wanders about. On the next two albums you can hear how they took some of those ideas but made them into more coherent works.

I regard the pre-Meddle albums as a different band, so comparing them with later ones is like saying would I prefer to eat a grilled barramundi or a lemon meringue pie - both are good in their own way.

I never liked the Wall, and Momentary Lapse is a bit meh. Not familiar with The Final Cut.

The Endless River is best thought of as a companion piece to Division Bell, and in that sense it works. As a standalone album, not so much.

still piper at the gates of dawn

think the gilmour stuff up to (and including I guess) dark side is good too. quite like animals and wish you were hear but I doubt I’d ever actually put them on myself. never listened to anything after those

I know it’s obvious but DSOTM is my personal favourite, but I would probably put Animals in my top 10 records of all time, purely because of Dogs…

Animals - I’m a sucker for seething rage as emotional undercurrent and Pigs (3 different ones) has enough to lay waste to a city. Dogs and Sheep are pretty cathartic in their own right too.

One of those very rare occasions where it’s incredibly difficult to rationalise not voting for the obvious, slightly cheesy answer.

Floyd have some almost unsurpassed moments on many of their records. But there’s a reason why DSOTM has it’s particular place in musical legend. It really is that good. As a single ‘record’ it is quite extraordinary. I have recently been gifted the unalloyed joy of Child 3 (17 years) discovering Pink Floyd ‘on his own’. He adores a lot of their stuff, with a particular admiration for Animals, but he is very clear in his opinion that DSOTM is, quite clearly, their magnum opus.

That’s ma boy…

Ben

for me it’s Animals. I’ve felt that way for over 20 years.

Although my Pink Floyd Album rankings are the following

Animals
Atom Heart Mother
Obscured By Clouds
Meddle
Wish You Were Here
The Dark Side of the Moon
The Division Bell
Piper at the Gates of Dawn
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
More
The Wall
A Saucerful of Secrets
The Final Cut
Zabriske Point
Ummagumma
The Endless River

Obscured By Clouds and Atom Heart Mother I adore, and find incredibly overlooked/overshadowed by Dark Side, The Wall and even WYWH and Meddle to an extent.

For years it was always DSOTM for me. I now think it’s WYWH. Those 2 with Animals is one hell of a run of albums.

In fact Meddle through to The Wall is one hell of a run.

I note you haven’t voted in this.

You note correctly, teho.

How are we to process this?

That you’re in a portacabin and bored shitless or that you are such a huge Floyd fan you can’t make your mind up?

Gave half a thought to listening to them all but cba. Gonna just listen to meddle amd ummagumma and those ones.

FTFY

Go to bed, teho.

Listening to animals today fyi. Pretty good/10

STILL AT WORK, MATE.

And the dev guys have really made my life hell :frowning: