Best Pink Floyd album

I agree (I don’t even like The Wall that much), although I don’t think it’s immoral to be drawn into something because it’s iconic and you happen to find it intriguing. I don’t think anyone explores music exclusively in this way though.

The Who - Quadrophenia
Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
The River Empires - Epilpgue

And now looking at this list:

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
Godspeed’s Lift Up Your Skinny Fists
Soft Machine - Third

Godspeed’s Lift Up Your Skinny Fists

I said rock albums for a reason. I mean obviously Kamasi Washington’s The Epic is fine as a triple album and so is The Seer and To Be Kind, but all of these, Godspeed included, are completely different styles of music in the first place. They lean towards long tracks or moods.

Also

Dream Theater

GET OUT!

NIN - The Fragile

Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus

I’m also in a minority of one in my belief that Embryonic is the best thing Flaming Lips have ever done

Struggling to think of many more

And also not sure any of those are “rock”

“Rock”? last time I checked, “Post Rock” has the word “Rock” in it.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is an album to many, is perfect. Or at least there is nothing to take out. No Filler, etc, which may sound unusual for a Dream Theater album, but it really is true. It flows incredibly well.

Embryonic is in my top three Flaming Lips albums. So, so good.

1 Like

Last time I checked “post doctorate” had the word doctorate in, “anti-establishment” had the word establishment in and Scunthorpe had the word ‘cunt’ in. Nor, for that matter, do I recall Godspeed’s music having anything to do with the Royal Mail. I dunno maybe words are more than just syllables slung together?

A bit snarky there… however I think what you are trying to say is that “post” is not an adjective denoting a type of rock, as in “punk rock”, krautrock", “acid rock” etc., but a qualifier meaning “after rock” or “beyond rock”, whatever that may mean. (It’s also a very silly term, because it’s merely saying what the music is NOT, rather than saying what it IS, but that’s beside the point.)

I’m afraid I don’t get the Royal Mail reference; must be a cultural thing.

“Post” as in “mail”.

Wish You Were Here closely followed by Animals for me, but I’m astonished that Atom Heart Mother is on zero at the moment.

Ahh I get it :slight_smile:

• Elvis Presley - Return to Sender
  • The Box Tops - The Letter
  • The Marvelettes - Please Mr Postman

Can’t think of too many other “post rock” examples.

I’m not surprised, in a single choice poll. Even if every single person had Atom Heart Mother as their second favourite, the number of votes it would get would be zero.

The title track is astounding, but the rest…

Also… a good excuse to post this

I think “Summer '68” is pretty nifty.

Yeah I was snarky. I think it’s really weird to respond to my making a clear distinction about what I was asking, particularly when someone clearly knows what Godspeed sounds like and therefore how far it is from conventional rock to then claim some weird technicality based on a word.

It’s not what I’m trying to say, it’s literally the definition of post-rock to be beyond rock. It’s not really a definition of what it isn’t, it’s a purposeful statement of saying “We’re not going to be doing what this implies but we’re going to use all the trappings you associate with it”. I’m assuming the name came about due to the existence of movements like postmodernism