Best prolific streaks in music

Don’t forget producing The Stooges - Raw power.

Although that probably took an hour.

3 Likes

Husker Du also had an incredible work rate. 83 - 87. Six albums, two of them doubles.
Studio albums

10 Likes
  • All of these people were on drugs
  • They were stone cold geniuses
  • They had massive teams of professionals helping them, catering to every whim & foible
  • They had unlimited funds & resources
  • They were guided by the awesome power of G-d/the devil
  • They were lucky

0 voters

Not music and quality is debatable but I’m still kind of baffled by how Brandon Sanderson releases shit-tonnes of huge books while also being a devout Mormon so can’t even have coffee.

I’m a huge procrastinator though so productivity in general is kind of alien to me.

1 Like

Has an entire community of enablers & helpers & feeders & cleaners etc …plus an unwavering belief in the righteousness of his savior

These are the most powerful drugs available to humankind

Not a fan of Head Over Heels?

true, I always forget big names in books have entire teams.

probably a big effect in studios when talent have their own cliques and agendas to essentially keep the real world away.

Maybe not super prolific, but Sufjan put out Michigan, Seven Swans, Illinois & The Avalanche within 4 years (+ songs for Christmas if that counts)

He’s also just put out The Decalogue, Aporia, The Ascension, Convocations & A Beginner’s Mind within a 3 year period (although I would say the quality is a lot more mixed…)

4 Likes

Time Fades Away in that run too!

2 Likes

Homegrown too!

This post paid for by PROF$.

2 Likes

Yeah, there was one bit in Get Back that struck me pretty hard when rewatching it

It’s like 3 days before the rooftop concert & they’re still arguing whether it should be a film or a concert or where they should play and George is like

“I don’t think it matters that much really. Nothing we’ve ever done has been meticulously planned but it always seems to just come together fine in the end”

…yeah, there’s like 50 people in the room ready to carry out your every wish & another 20 in corporate ready to sign cheques for it George

2 Likes

I am a fan of everything they touched, but recognise that Simon Raymonde took them to another level. :rocket:

1 Like

Can’t argue with that

1 Like

Also, looking up the Wiki page for Homegrown it reminds me he also came up with these songs in that time as well:

• ‘Human Highway’
  • ‘Pushed It Over The End’
  • ‘Deep Forbidden Lake’
  • ‘The Old Homestead’
  • ‘Love/Art Blues’
  • ‘Give Me Strength’
  • ‘Bad News Comes To Town’
  • ‘Homefires’
  • ‘Frozen Man’
  • ‘Daughters’
  • ‘Barefoot Floors’.

That’s ridiculous. Some Neil all-timers in that list that came out on compilations or albums years later.

This post paid for by PROF$.

2 Likes

Timberland mid 00s

1 Like

The Fall’s first decade

Live at the Witch Trials (1979)
Dragnet (1979)
Grotesque (1980)
Slates (1981)
Hex Enduction Hour (1982)
Room to Live (1982)
Perverted by Language (1983)
The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall (1984)
This Nation’s Saving Grace (1985)
Bend Sinister (1986)
The Frenz Experiment (1988)
I Am Kurious Oranj (1988)

What a run

9 Likes

Jeff Magrum

• On Avery Island - 1996
  • In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - 1998
  • Live at Jitter Joe’s - 2001
1 Like

Pixies 1987-1991:

Come On Pilgrim (1987)
Surfer Rosa (1988)
Doolittle (1989)
Bossanova (1990)
Trompe le Monde (1991)

18 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t detract from the work itself, but for their later years as a band, The Beatles were operating under the most favourable conditions possible.

1 Like

The answer is John Coltrane specifically the Impulse years. Okay some of these he’s just plonked a mic down in the pub but there’s like 8 ten/ten albums here in a three year stretch and several 9s.

10 Likes