Best UK live venues

Completely North-biased from me, although I spend lots of time in the South.

1. Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
  2. Trades Club, Hebden Bridge
  3. Holmfirth Picturedrome, Huddersfield

I miss the Cockpit in Leeds too…

Brudenell [/thread]

Brudenell turns a band from “maybe worth the drive to Leeds” to “definitely worth the drive to Leeds”.

For Manchester, I’m a big fan of the Star And Garter as a venue, but spend more time at Deaf Institute and Albert Hall because they both get a lot of traffic from good bands who are like properly famous and have CDs and are on Spotify, both great venues, apart Albert Hall being let down drinks.

Can’t really argue with those first 2.

Always had a good time at Leeds Irish Centre too.

I couldn’t say bc I’m in the USA. oh, i got rhymes! anyway, i ran across this Manchester based startup that aims to bring live music venues to audiences everywhere via audio stream. Apparently 200 venues are on board already. I’d be curious to know if any DiS’ favorite venues are on here.

Glasgow Barrowland (or The Barra’s as it’s more commonly known).

One of those venues that, when hearing a certain band are touring, can turn a ‘meh’ to a ‘yeah’.

Also like the Classic Grand in Glasgow. Sound is always good and there’s plenty of decent vantage points. Never seems to be many bands play there though.

I do miss The Picture House in Edinburgh.

The barras

-----------thread closed----------

bar that served me when I was 14 and local bands did their best arctic monkeys impressions

alright, lo pan

Alright eric

thread re-opened*

King Tuts, Glasgow

Thread re-closed

(Barrowlands is awesome too!!)

i really like the black heart in camden for small heavy shows

Joiners in Southampton. Always sounds amazing.

Only went to the Kazimier in Liverpool once before it closed but it was up there. No Brudenell, but what is, eh

Do they have to still exist? The Venue in Edinburgh was the best place to see a band which has ever existed in the history of the Universe.

The Barras is obviously the king, but got a real soft spot for Stereo too.

I do love the Deaf Institute in Manchester from when I was up there. A good venue always needs a decent bar and the one downstairs is always pretty decent. The Ritz gets the thumbs up for me for a larger venue.

Back in Birmingham now the Hare and Hounds always seems to have the best bands playing, the sound there is always spot on and again is part of a brilliant pub. The Sunflower lounge is good for the really intimate shows.

I’ll give the same answer I do everytime we have this thread (which is often) and that’s Clwb Ifor Bach in Cardiff. Great sound on all three floors, friendly staff and a constant stream of great touring bands / DJ’s coupled with local talent.

The Manchester Ritz is the best venue in Britain. Every gig I’ve been to there has been perfect.

Leeds: Brudenell
Manchester: Soup Kitchen for me, good vibes