Best way to learn drumming?

I’ve just recently bought an electronic drum kit (Roland td-1k) and I’m wondering what’s the best way to start. I guess the basics right? But using what though, a book(can you recommend any?), you tube tutorials?. What method worked best for you? Can’t really afford proper lessons :frowning: .

I’m really enjoying banging away at them!

Thanks

I just played along to easy stuff like Oasis after some initial pointers to how to play from drummers I knew.

That said, I am shit…

@pietrovalente to the thread?

9 Likes

@pietrovalente

2 Likes

Great minds Theo!

1 Like

Was hoping this would be a link to an educational video from Pietro.

7 Likes

I got lessons for a few years but if you’ve bought drums I imagine you’ve done your fair share of air drumming to songs you like, for the basics I’d say youtube is your best bet if lessons are out of the question, once you’ve got those down properly then figure out what your favourite drummers are doing

The paradiddle is the classic drumming exercise : evenly timed strokes

Left
Right
Left
Left
Right
Left
Right
Right

Thanks for the mention guys.
My suggestion is to look for a good online course on youtube, search for Drumeo, they have a lot of awesome material to learn from.
An other suggestion is to try to learn a simple song and play it along as best as you can.
One last thing is consider to save some money to have a lesson once in a while with a professional drummer even once every two months would be great because it will help you to avoid ending out of track or learning something in a wrong way plus you can collect all the doubt and request of the past two months and ask during the lesson.
Remember that to achieve good results in music the secret is a constant effort in the long run, even a couple of hours of practice per week could be great in let’s say 2 or 3 years time.

Good luck!

9 Likes

Probably best to learn the basics before learning the crazy drums. 5 drummers in one drums should carry a health and safety warning.

Another vote for Drumeo. I got myself a drumkit last year and the Jared Falk videos for beginners are really good: taught me a lot of basic beats and fills which I had lot of fun with.

I also had a couple of lessons with an actual teacher, just to make sure I’m holding the sticks right as well, posture at the kit etc.

getting some basic beats nailed I think can happen quite quick. after that get playing along to stuff and working out how the beat is constructed. plus work on your rudiments to build up decent technique.

can’t remember which books i used really, the only one that stands out are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Charley-Wilcoxon-Modern-Rudimental-Swing/dp/B005KJYYNU

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Funk-Studies-Rick-Latham-x/dp/0825825539

Advanced funk :DD

2 Likes

never has the adage ‘don’t just a book by its cover’ been more apt. the book is incredible, especially if you have an interest in linear drum patterns.

If you want to be good, you need to go to proper lessons. One-to-one tuition is essential if you want to do more than just hit shit vaguely in time. Instant feedback, constant guidance on posture, form, how you’re holding your sticks, etc, is vital. It’s worth the money.

If you’re not arsed about being any good, buy a book or use youtube videos. You’ll save the money, but see a marked difference between yourself and those who learned properly.

Sounds harsh but it’s true. Based on years of experience.

1 Like

Also, learn to read music, learn music theory, and most importantly play with other musicians as soon as you feel able. Experience is everything.

And don’t be impatient. Keep working, practicing, asking questions, listening to the drums in everything you hear. Enjoy it.

Gorky’s half-assed approach to drums:

1 - Learn all the basic rudiments, loads of good books out there for this.
2 - Try to play them as evenly as you can, equal volume with each hand.
3 - Gradually increase the speed of each pattern/combination until it gets out of control, then slow it back down again until its more comfortable. Repeat this until you are a badass at every rudiment (2-50 years depending)

Better to practice for 30mins each day than 4 hours one day a week.

Pay for a couple of lessons if you enjoy it, it will stop you embedding basic mistakes into your technique.
Buy a metronome to help your timing.

Thank you everyone for your help. I’m starting lessons next Tuesday. I’m going to take on board some of the above suggestions. Big Thanks :blush:

Is there any advantage to buying a metronome? I just use the metronome app on my phone… The flashing lights are useful and I wouldn’t be able to hear the actual tick of a real metronome over the drums themselves anyway…