Best Welsh Songs

Have a bang on this (that’s massively disrespectful, as this is actually profoundly moving). It’s the first Google result, but a good one. I’ll have a dig around for some more in a bit:

2 Likes

well that was an intense and beautiful ten minutes

2 Likes

It’s quite full-on, isn’t it? There’s some details in the YouTube comments that really punch it home.

The correct answer, as Bammers says is this. Heywood Lane from Barafundle.

If you don’t know your Gorky’s Heywood Lane is a road in Tenby and Barafundle is a beach in south Pembrokeshire about 10 miles from Tenby.

1 Like

Not one mention of Meic Stevens yet?

2 Likes

big fan of this.

1 Like

this for me, Clive

My daughter’s favourite song.

Any of the ones by me.

Some of Goldie Lookin Chain’s stuff used to properly crack me up back in the day. The very last band I thought would make it “big” (relatively speaking), mainly as their songs seemed to deal with daily life in the shithole that is Newport.

“The Goldie Lookin Chain is fuckin so strong it’s like Geoff Capes turning a fucking Mini over. On Record Breakers. With Roy fuckin Castle”

This has to be my favourite SFA song:

I’ll have a think about some songs by Welsh artists other than SFA

2 Likes

The best Welsh song I’ve heard is a really sad song about mining that an old man once sang in a pub in Rhyl just before closing. I don’t know what hell it is called.

Plus: Datblygu

2 Likes
1 Like

Datblygu means ‘develop’ or ‘progress’ in Welsh, which is a pretty strong post-punk band name!

3 Likes

Got banned from Welsh language tv performances in the 80s too for being “unpatriotic”. Singing in Welsh about how shit 80s Wales was.

2 Likes

A recent tune, looking forward to more.

1 Like