• Happy New Year, Colin Burstead. dir. Ben Wheatley
  • In Fabric dir. Peter Strickland
  • Joy dir. Sudabeh Mortezai
  • The Old Man & the Gun dir. David Lowery
  • Shadow (Ying) dir. Zhang Yimou
  • Sunset (Napszállta) dir. László Nemes
  • Too Late to Die Young (Tarde para morir joven) dir. Dominga Sotomayor

Galas include Widows, Stan and Ollie, The Favourite and Peterloo

Anything you’re hoping to see? I usually steer clear of anything coming out in the next couple of months. Got my eyes on the new Laszlo Nemes and Zhang Yimou so far.

Can’t believe its announcement time, already. Likewise I tend to avoid stuff that already has a release date unless I’m really desperate - assume / hoping Sorry to Bother You will be there seeing as it still doesn’t have a release date.

The galas are even worse for this. Who were the people forking out £30 to see the Andrew Garfield film Breathe when it came out in the cinema 3 weeks later?

Its out

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/lff/Online/

Just twigged that the big Odeon isn’t going to be ready so loads of stuff will be in Cineworld / Picturehouse which still has the boycott on.

Nice. Need to track down a printed copy. Going to do my usual thing of seeing how I’m fixed while it’s actually on and seeing whats still on sale. Didn’t go to loads last time, but managed to get to everything I wanted to see (which admittedly was mostly trashy stuff in the Thrill and Cult bits).

As ever I’m drawn to the galas and the Thrill and Cult sections. At a glance I’m interested in:

One of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs/Roma/The Outlaw King (on the assumption they are Netflix films and won’t be shown in cinemas)
Assassination Nation
If Beale Street Could Talk
Been So Long
Out of Blue
Shadow
Sunset
The Spy Gone North
Women At War
Ladyworld
El Angel
Believer
Mayfair
Knife + Heart
Long Day’s Journey In To Night

I’m still annoyed that Bad Genius, my pick of the films that we saw last year, didn’t even get a release and is only available to view on the US Netflix site.

Pretty sure I rented that off iTunes.

Good to see the BFI site is having its annual wobbly

Aye, doubt anything I want to see is going to sell out quickly though.

Have got tickets to:

Sunset
The Spy Gone North
Shadow
El Angel
If Beale Street Could Talk

Girl
Last Child
Sauvage
Knife & Heart
Too late to die young
Being Frank
Sunset
3 Faces
All the gods in the sky
Madeline’s Madeline
Cannibal Club
Wild pear tree
Daughter of Mine
Consequences
School’s Out
Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Ray and Liz
Support the Girls
Ladyworld
Diamantimo
If Beale St Could Talk
Non Fiction

Hello everyone.

I always like seeing this thread appear. The reason for this is that my first date with Mrs F many years ago was to go and see a LFF film (Monsoon Wedding), so it makes me feel nostalgic and romantic.

I’ve got a hankering for reprising that date again this year. Someone recommend me something I should book please.

Bloody hell! I’m impressed.

My bank isn’t.

Is it me or has the base price of every ticket gone up by a quid? It’s already a pretty pricey proposition.

Yeah it does every year, pretty much. Fair few of mine are daytime, which is a lot cheaper.

My viewing choices are definitely informed by what I can see at the Southbank and at Rich Mix to save a few quid. Also taking the day off to see Sunset and The Spy Gone North back to back (in the same seat) at the Vue.

Not a big fan of the Embankment cinema and wish it didn’t fall under the central pricing. The screen lets in a lot of external noise.

Got:

Border
Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Utoya July 22
Sunset
The Wild Pear Tree
The Green Fog
In Fabric
Long Day’s Journey Into Night
Monrovia Indiana

The Favourite and Roma sold out, which is a pisser.