BFI London Film Festival 2019

Yeah - same (Synchronic). Had a quick flip through the programme but that’s the only thing I ended up booking. Might do a few more ad hoc style.

1 Like

Ciro Guerra’s Waiting For The Barbarians’.

Went to see our first film of this year’s festival:

Maggie. A Korean film of sporadic humour, but which topples over into wackiness and a big mess. Not worth watching if it gets a full release.

I also went to the LFF tonight. Write-up on what I saw to follow tomorrow but today’s highlight was standing within touching distance of Wendell Pierce (Bunk in The Wire)

2 Likes

Going to see The Lighthouse premiere on Saturday, ngl lads I’m more stoked for the red carpet and maybe being in the same room as fka twigs

Film does look super cool but I never watched The VVitch because it looked too scary for me :smiley:

2 Likes

She chucked Pattinson ages ago

Oh no how disappointing

Joy To The World

A selection of short films, ranging from 3 mins to 20 mins, as part of the LFF “laugh” section of the festival programme. In other words, they’re supposed to be funny (and they are, mostly!).

Not going to review each short, but usually these selections are good to find up-and-coming directors. This particular selection did not have any specific style: animation, start-stop motion, black and white, CGI, every possible technique was on display.

Particular highlights

Love The Sinner (by Jennifer Sheridan)

An extremely funny reflection on the hysteria surrounding the death of Princess Diana, seen through the eyes of a rebellious 11-year-old (played by the outstanding Whitney O’Nicholas).

Jennifer Sheridan has just completed her full length debut, a film called “Rose” featuring Matt Stokoe and Sophie Rundle in the lead roles

Passive Aggressive Dads (by Jim Picariello)

Must-see for any father with young kids who gets irrationally annoyed by teenagers hanging round a children’s playground.

Hot And Tasty (by Laura Jayne Hodkin)

Graduating animation film from the Royal College of Art depicting the details of being, quite literally, blind drunk. In particular the dialogue is spot on and very recognisable for anyone who has had a wild night out.

A Family Affair (by Florence Keith-Roach)

Using a similar theme as the previous short, this film deals with the aftermath of a wild night out, in particular the effect of blacking out after too much booze. Keith-Roach is excellent in the lead role opposite the legendary John Standing.

Tic (by Josef Bates)

Developed for Channel 4, starring Emma Mackey and Will Merrick, Tic is a dark comedy that deals with Tourette Syndrome in a very clever way. Beautifully filmed, Bates is clearly one of the more experienced entrants, and fully deserves to get his own feature film soon.

The short programme is shown again tomorrow afternoon at the Vue West End, at 3:30 PM. If you’re at a loss of what to do, go and see this. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Off to Beanpole tonight to start my festival of films linked by the theme of being really fucking gruelling.

Haha! Sounds right up my street.

Just saw Jallikattu. Buffalo being prepped for slaughter escapes and runs amok in a poor village. All the men give chase… Who is the real animal? Etc. Was ok. Lacked subtlety yet not sure if there was any more to it. People crave meat but don’t think there was an animal rights aspect to it or anything. Lots of screaming.

Enjoyed Beanpole despite it having at least two really upsetting scenes that will stick with me. Also a very tense, but funny, ‘meet the parents’ sequence.

Today was Bacurau, which is a very silly, very gory deliberately culty Brazilian film about evil shenanigans in a remote village. First three quarters of an hour genuinely unsettling until the movie finally tips its hand, gets Udo Kier in and goes violently bonkers. Audience liked it so much they were literally screaming when the final credits came up.

Also Little Joe, a truly terrible film in which enhanced plants have a weird effect on the scientists cultivating them. Stilted acting, terrible dialogue and a honking musical score that dins home every plot point. Not Doomwatch, more Don’t Watch.

1 Like

We were at the exact same screenings yesterday. I haven’t heard quite a reaction to a film like that which we heard at Bacurau, incredible atmosphere at the end. Loads of politically charged chanting (Lula libre! Fora Bolsonaro!) and raw emotion from the Brazilian contingent at the screening. Made my appreciation of the film rise a little, and wonderful to know how well it’s doing in its home country. I went in pretty blind to it plot wise and much preferred the first half, but admired how politically urgent the second half was, in amongst the madness and violence.

Agree almost entirely about Little Joe, it wanted so hard to fit in amongst the dryness of the Greek New Wave, but never really succeeded. Those slow zooms in on the centre space between two characters :roll_eyes:. Also saw Atlantics which I liked a great deal. Dream like gentle pace and beautiful to look at, my kind of slow magical realist cinema. Off to Lighthouse this morning, pipe at the ready!

I’ve got Atlantics tomorrow. Currently waiting for The Lighthouse to start.

2 Likes

I’ve got the day off tomorrow. Woohoo!!

I’ve got Atlantics and The House Of Us booked. Looking forward to an afternoon of films tomorrow.

I have a ticket going free for The Traitor at Empire Haymarket, 3pm today if anyone wants it

Enjoyed both Lucky Grandma and Atlantics. I really felt both gave me a look in to a completely different way of life, be that an immigrant grandmother in NY Chinatown or a young woman in Senegal.

Lucky Grandmother is consistently funny throughout but its biggest strength is in the characters, particularly the grandma and her bodyguard.

Atlantics looks great, feel like I could just watch shots of the ocean all day. Pace was maybe just a touch too gentle for me. Fatima Al Qadari’s score is sensational.

Saint Maud was fucking amazing. Not quite what I was expecting and the current hang over maybe made it more affecting. Kinda wish I don’t have two more films today so I can process better.

Anyway, What Remains then The Deathless Woman next.

Thought Lucky Grandma was pretty good.

Off to see Synchronic tonight which I am possibly too hyped about.

1 Like