Big Thief are, by a distance, the finest band in the world

I mean I’m not saying you’re wrong but ‘Boygenius’?

1 Like

“Agedmangenius”

i think people here think it’s aretha franklin

6 Likes

It’s actually whoever I’m listening to right now and really really digging.

4 Likes

it’s probably oh sees btw

I’ve never expressed an opinion about The Big Thiefs or heard them before, should I?

Thread for when @Severed799 is at it again

1 Like

That’s very flattering but as a rule I try not be very at it.

True, it’s only in Big Thief threads.

I have no idea what you are talking about

1 Like

This is almost why I think they’re the best band going.

I rinsed a lot of saddle creek style indie folk more than a decade ago until I ended up heartily sick of the entire genre. Nothing in this style has done anything for me for years. Big Thief are so good that even though they play a moribund genre I’m fed up with, I still love them!

Also it’s fine to be a naysayer, I was! I slid off their first two records because they really do take time to sink in. If I hadn’t given UFOF a fourth spin, I’d be on the “why is everyone losing their shit over this boring band?” side of the fence.

They’re nice. I like listening to them. But I expect the best band in the world to envoke more in me. So quite frankly you’re wrong

1 Like

Would never have persevered with UFOF if not for people on the music board singing its praises. Would have missed out on a lot of the music I love if not for this board.

8 Likes

People who’ve not seen Lenker play live might have no idea how great a guitarist she is. Best i’ve ever seen in the flesh. Like watching Bert Jansch play.

Also, a completely unique vocalist, unquestionably, and a brilliant lyricist.

10 Likes

Never heard of them.

Think it’s a good point about how they require and reward repeat listens, given other than ‘Not’ or maybe ‘Mythological Beauty’ they’re not exactly a “direct” band musically. There are so many little layers and textures that reveal themselves over time along with the realisation that Lenker is a bit of a once in a lifetime talent given just how many incredible songs she’s written and recorded over the past half-decade(!)

Here’s a genuinely thrilling deeper cut example:

1 Like

Don’t think they have a bad track across 4 albums do they?

2 Likes

I’m really going to have to sit down and listen to Big Thief at some stage.

4 Likes