Biggest Wasted Potential

Who came on the scene like a flash of electric glory only to whisper out or turn out to be Ross Barkley?

Any sport. Shoot.

Scott Sinclair. Was absolutely brilliant when we had him on loan from Chelsea and looked as though he could go on to really make the step up when he was at Swansea but that move to City absolutely ruined him.

3 Likes

Jack Wilshere

2 Likes

The lad can fit a lot of fingers in his mouth.

football -

rashford
bojan
adriano
gourcuff
ansu fati

Jon Jones, I mean for sure he’s probably still one of the greatest combat athletes of time but if he could just keep a lid on the more awful aspects of his character he could have probably been the Mohammed Ali of MMA.

2 Likes

Looked brilliant when we had him on loan too.

2 Likes

basketball -

ja okafor the biggest that comes to mind
beasley
len bias
brandon roy
zion williamson
kyrie irving
vince carter should have done better imo

1 Like

Anthony Scaramucci

One of my favourite Argyle goals was his against Palace actually

2 Likes

Christ, Carl Fletcher. We’ve come a long way.

Argyle legend

2 Likes

As selfish as it is, I’m glad it worked out the way it did as he was absolutely outstanding for us.

1 Like

Football-wise probably Ravel Morrison.

The NFL has absolutely loads of high draft picks who didn’t pan out for whatever reason but in terms of wasting their own potential Henry Ruggs was the first receiver picked in 2020 and had a couple of decent albeit injury-marred seasons before killing someone while driving drunk.

5 Likes

Ravel Morrison (excluding players who were just injured)

Loris Sven Karius

Champions League Final —> Newcastle 3rd keeper in like 3 seasons

2 Likes

Mohammad Amir

8 Likes

Francis Jeffers, Jeremie Aliadiere and numerous other failed Arsenal strikers.

John Bostock.

When he came on came on for us at 15, I think against Watford he looked ridiculously good.

Then he went to Spurs. Would have been interesting how his career would have gone if he’d stayed with us for a couple of years.

2 Likes

Stan Collymore.

Best football player I have seen on an actual pitch in person (when he played for Forest), speed power, directness, he had it all, Ronaldo-esque (the Brazilian one).

4 Likes