Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, The Julie Ruin and all things Kathleen Hanna

Top tip - If you know two people with standing tickets at Brixton Academy you can buy an upstairs ticket and just borrow one of their stubs to be let in downstairs

3 Likes

I recall the venue tried to implement wristbands for a while to stop people doing that, but I guess it proved too much effort.

First time I went to Brixton Academy (1991, only been three times!) I was a child, and a guy hung off the balcony and dropped down to get into standing. It was nuts.

I was stupidly young and everything about the night blew my mind. I guess people don’t do that sort of thing anymore?

Anyone here tonight? There’s isn’t security checking whether you’ve a downstairs or upstairs ticket. Definitely looks like far less people here downstairs than yesterday.

I enjoyed the second night far more. I’m an old man and like hanging back at the back with a pint for sold out shows usually. Tonight wasn’t sold out, nicely busy but still meant that I could slip near the front towards the side for a really good view. The sound was far better tonight too.

Brilliant shows. Never thought, having started this thread, that we’d be posting here about having seen a reformed Bikini Kill play gigs.

3 Likes

That was fun. Sound dreadful for the first few songs but improved significantly, and the pit was intense but generally very good natured.

6 Likes

Really enjoyed! Thought they were great, realised what a one of a kind voice Kathleen Hanna has seeing it live.

Was a really lovely mixed crowd too, so used to gigs being full of middle aged men (not that there’s anything wrong with that, and probably says more about my taste than theirs) but to see such a diverse crowd in terms of age/sex/gender was cool.

Kathleen implied there would be more tours in future. We’ll see I guess!

3 Likes

Another brilliant photo. Your photos last night were stunning too.

1 Like

They could make a killing doing festivals next year so it’s nice that these shows went well.

2 Likes

Also good to see Kathleen’s health on the mend (?)