Billy Bragg

Can’t believe he doesn’t have his own thread already! Anyway he is coming to Gothenburg this autumn so I am finally going to see him. Apparently he is touring this 14 CD boxset featuring over 300 songs, so might be a long night.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/billy-bragg-the-roaring-forty-1983-2023/

Oh and I am turning 40 this year, so seems quite fitting.

3 Likes

Just an armful of bangers really.

16 Likes

Also the way he still gets it right up general wrong uns is continuously heartening.

24 Likes

love the first album, seems a generally very good egg unless I’ve missed something

‘A New England’ is a nice one to play on guitar if you’ve got a reverb pedal or something to make it sound like he made it sound

Drama to this.

2 Likes

It’s one of my very small repertoire, although need to get me a reverb pedal!

He’s about as a good an egg as can be.

1 Like

Love him

4 Likes

He’s ace. Saw him play at my workplace a while ago and he did a re-worded version of Sexuality in support of trans rights.

4 Likes

Good album with Wilco

12 Likes

just had a search to find out what he played it on/through

really love that sound, him mostly alone with his brittle electric, like standing around brooding in some lonely bit of a working class town on a cold rainy day

1 Like
2 Likes

I barely go on FB any more, but I used to really enjoy his posts on there. Loads of stuff about the history of his instruments etc.

that sounds cool! I’m not on FB anymore either, just had a google to find out

did you go by a specific tab to learn ‘A New England’? figure I could just figure it out by ear, but worth asking

Know it’s one of his most popular but can’t be understated what a track that is.

4 Likes
1 Like

I don’t play it too much like his version tbh - this one:

2 Likes

legend

Spotify

Great version of Power In The Union with Biggie Tembo at the end of this interview.

‘Don’t Try This At Home’ is still one of my favourite albums ever.
Anyone who’s a parent or lost one young - this just breaks your heart.

8 Likes

This was a double when it was released.

Side three of the four comprises of Sexuality, Mother of the Bride, Tank Park Salute and Dolphins. Much as I enjoyed Bragg’s output over the years, he’s never put 4 songs that worked together as well as these do.To be fair, few have though.

I just checked this album is 56 minutes long. Spy vs Spy 16 minutes. I never had that on vinyl. Must have been a lot of run out groove on there

3 Likes