The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

Thsre is a lot of clipping. Its hard to listen to on cans. Especially if you have good headphones where everythong is comming in hot

Yep, the extreme clipping and everything being exactly the same loudness makes it really uncomfortable on the ears.

I feel like the Pitchfork rating is a real let down, it deserves a 0.0, an album this fascinatingly, utterly awful deserves more recognition than 3.something. That Jet album was just amateurish shite, this is a masterclass in negative. I can’t believe they didn’t know what they were doing, like as if nobody listened to Billy singing Knights of Malta in the studio and gave him any critical feedback on the wu-wus or the completely out of place backing vocals? Yeah right.

I’m a bit obsessed with it.

2 Likes

It was Rick Rubin… surely he should know better? But then again ever sp record for 20 years has had terrible production so i guess billy has too much of a say still

Was it?? Wow. Definitely an in-joke then?

I use the 2011 remaster of Cherub Rock to test out any new headphones or speakers I buy, not because it’s held up as a great highlight of record production but I know it really well and I personally love the production and the contrast between the high lead guitar notes and drums and the warm fuzz below it all. It’s one of my favourite songs ever, and it’s quite sad that this is where they’ve ended up.

1 Like

Got nothing to write about anymore. Hence the generic lyrical wasteland that all legacy bands fall into (metallica/pearl jam/alice in chains)

1 Like

This is terrible news.

1 Like

Lol

Rough Trade throwing some subtle shade in a ‘new releases’ email I just got from them…

“So many fantastic releases this week as well as Smashing Pumpkins’ new album”

9 Likes

I feel like I’m being tested.

Corgan?

The dirty old bollocks.

Fucking hell, how does he not get a massive amount more stick for this? A 17year old, has he not heard of half your age plus 7?

Still massively creepy.

1 Like

New thread title.

@moderators Corgan and the flaunting of the half your age plus 7 rule

5 Likes

This thread truly warms the cockles of my heart.

Merry corganmass to all, and to all no future no past no sun vol 1 LP

5 Likes

Can’t wait to celebrate it with you and @TAFH33 :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Think I know what irks me most about this song - the words! It’s one of those late-career songs by successful musicians who have no struggle in their lives and write bland pick-me-up, you-can-do-it! tunes as a result

A little while ago, I was watching TV at my folks’ place and Roger Daltrey appeared on some daytime show, doing a new tune. It was basically this - mid-tempo plod, lots of happy boilerplate lyrics about how he’ll be there, all you gotta do is call, it’ll be alright, we’re gonna make it happen etc.

That song was probably called Everything (In My Life) Is Fine (For Me)

Billy Corgan is Roger Daltrey now

(Then there’s the production. Like the wo-wo-wo, they’re fun. Strings and backing vocals are a bit Britpop. But this is a band with three guitarists ffs? Can barely hear them!)

1 Like

Even if she’s 24, she still wasn’t born when Siamese Dream came out

:face_vomiting:

3 Likes

I regard it as bollocks if that counts

new album is pants.

decided to listen to Oceania instead. Never really heard it before. It’s much, much better.