The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

I think it is a folly to expect it to be solely the rolling SP thread given it was originally a Nirvana vs Smashing Pumpkins thread which gave rise to an ‘are SP any good?’ conversation

If this had been started as ‘Rolling Smashing Pumpkins Thread’ I and I’d guess many others would probably never have clicked in here ever. But it’s difficult to change the tone of a thread midway through once a tone has been established and people have participated on that basis, and decide that the thread is actually something else now and that anyone still treating it the old way is participating in bad faith.

I think I’m in that rare venn diagram intersection of loving Pavement and Smashing Pumpkins and liking Stone Temple Pilots too (I love a few songs, like a few others and can leave quite a few more).

1 Like

FB_IMG_1563225066780

Stolen form Facebook

2 Likes

Stone Temple Pilots

They are elegant bachelors after all.

1 Like

I’m in that set of people too. I’m shocked at how little discussion there is about Stone Temple Pilots here, they were amazing.

1 Like

Might be wrong but I don’t think they were ever much of a thing in the UK.

(Or if they were, it was pre-Britpop and the demographic here doesn’t really skew that way.)

1 Like

That could be it, here in the US they were pretty big and constantly unfairly maligned as a Pearl Jam knock off.

I think they’d be remembered more fondly if Weiland wasn’t such an abysmal lyric writer. ‘Plush’ is a cracker of a song but it has the worst chorus ever penned by man or machine:

Where you going for tomorrow?
Where you goin’ with the mask I found?
And I feel, and I feel
When the dogs begin to smell her
Will she smell alone?

'The fuck you talking 'bout Scott?

I seem to remember that album with the star on the front (No.4 or something?) being big for about a week but that’s about it.

2 Likes

And If a tree falls in the woods and no-one’s there to hear it?

1 Like

I can only assume that ‘smelling alone’ is like when I was single and living alone and smelled of wine, doritos and shame.

1 Like

Terrible!

idgi

1 Like

His substance abuse problems seemed to overshadow everything about them too

1 Like

I did have one mate who was quite into STP, but he was also into Bush, Creed and Godsmack and therefore could not be trusted.

One for the ‘greatest tv show performances ever’ thread…

1 Like

Yeah they seemed like a rolling car crash from their second album onwards. Kinda sad.

That’s pretty much when I lost interest in them

Did you mean Scott as a person or musically? I think a strong case exists for Tiny Music and No. 4 being their best albums. Shangri La Dee Da is great too, the only real knock on it is that he has the standard “I’m a dad now” song on it.

Mostly Scott as a person. They had to kick him out of the band at one point and released an album with another singer (Talk Show I think?) which was rubbish.

Tiny Music is a bit of a shambles (though a mostly enjoyable shambles). I remember liking bits of No. 4 at the time but couldn’t tell you a thing about it now tbh. Neither were a patch on Purple imo. Then Weiland got arrested for domestic violence and I stopped listening.

A Stone Temple Pilot song came on the radio the other day. Made me glad I grew up in the UK and went 31 years without having to hear them.

Same with Creed