The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

They all sound genuinely happy and excited.

I’m not expecting this quote to be featured in any “Billy Corgan is a delusional narcissist” hit pieces:

But here’s one example: We were in the studio, and Rick pulled me aside and he said, “I get it.” And I was like, “What do you get?” And he said, “James softens the metal.” And what Rick meant by that is, James has a way of taking the blunt-force trauma of how Jimmy and I approach rock music and creating a softer, more psychedelic kind of layering thing that somehow makes it feel cooler or sexier. And when you see it happen and you notice it, especially because it hasn’t been around for a while, you’re like, “Oh, that’s that thing that people like!”

2 Likes

Going to be the first album to be the best of two decades.

4 Likes

Lots of instrumentals and alt versions…hopefully there are more full tracks/demos to come

1 Like

gish yes, adore no.

1 Like

fuck i’ve never seen this before but it is BAD-ASS

2 Likes

fuck me that’s some set. Kinda wish I went now

Still weirds me out when I see him with hair.

I’m usually really disparaging on band-focused musicals, but I would be all over an SP one.

Join our noble warrior William, as he enters the Siamese Dream to defeat the villain Melon Collie, and his invincible army, the Infinite Sadness!

I’d still be disparaging of it, mind. But I’d pay for a ticket.

5 Likes

I didn’t notice the video screen for that song in-particular, but she was evidently edited out of all the old videos / footage that accompanied the songs in the early part of the set.

You can see Try Try Try here (albeit sometimes with the screens not in shot)

1 Like

the backdrop features a video of a bleached blond woman shooting up with glowing drugs apparatus, then waking to fumble around with empty wine bottles.

That just sounds like the Jonas Akurlamf video / short film that accompanied it?

1 Like

really keen on the smashing pumpkins and forum threads so rn i’m in hog heaven

1 Like

Billy threw one of my photos* a Like on Instagram the other day, which was nice.

(* It was a reasonably flattering one of him soloing at the Wembley show, with a total elated fanboy caption, but still…)

1 Like

so i ain’t the most knowledgeable about the smashing pumpkins but i do know this is one of the most joyful videos ever and the song ain’t bad neither

i am on a smashing pumpkins tip tonight pals, 4 beers to down and nowhere to go, time to rock imo

4 Likes

I had no idea this was on there either, I don’t recognize a lot of these titles. I’m glad the general public will get to hear Germans in Leather Pants.

I’m guessing the answer is no, but is there a full version of the Pastichio Medley version of The Groover anywhere?

1 Like

I’d somehow never heard the full version of Star Song either. I didn’t even realize what I was listening to and then suddenly that solo popped up like an old friend.

My daughter at a Halloween festival tonight, rocking one of her SP tees

2 Likes

3 Likes

So do the venue…

1 Like

Nah, im just being a twat…kinda wanna go myself but too far away (Shoreditch an odd place for a 2018 SP listening party though…)

1 Like

Arggghh! Im fucking done!! Soon as the butchered/brickwalled/remixed to shit version of Machina finally drops I think im out the door. Corgan is totally clueless. What is this shit?!?

(How was the listening party?)

1 Like