The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

Eugh.

1 Like

Been following his Instagram Q&As and, while I know I shouldn’t be at this point, I’m in complete disbelief at how thin skinned the guy is. Every single request for AlbumX or SongY to be put back on Spotify or played live or re-issued or whatever is met with a “But my fans told me it sucked so it must be true”.

1 Like

I’ve somehow tricked myself into enjoying these lame new songs.

1 Like

Same. Solara came up on shuffle this morning and I found myself nodding along to the amped up guitars in the outro :-/

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with liking Silvery Sometimes, mind.

Haven’t managed to get through the first ten seconds of the latest one yet. That intro is jarring as fuck.

1 Like

fucking HELL

cc @jeffpistachiomagnum

Oh dear. Is the whole album like this?

Not out 'til next week.

I have to say, salty Billy is very enjoyable and 1,000,000x better than Jesus Billy. I’d like to think in an alternate world where I was a rock star and not thoroughly consumed by social anxiety and guilt, I’d be calling everyone a moron too.

1 Like

SIlvery Sometimes is a really good song imho
The other 2 are really bad, especially Knights of Malta

2 Likes

Actually. Strong case for Knights of Malta being the worst SP song?

I say so

2 Likes

I remember my mate saying how he and a friend were determined to go and see We Will Rock You when it opened after reading the description (utterly bonkers, see below) and figuring it would bomb in a couple of months. Obviously they failed and then it became hugely popular so they never bothered.

I mean until I read it I just assumed it was a sort of bio-play of the band or at least rooted in the 70s and 80s. Here are the first two paragraphs from the extensive summary on Wikipedia:

The story is set exactly 300 years in the future in a vaguely Orwellian world. Earth has been renamed as the “iPlanet” (Planet Mall in older productions) and is controlled by the Globalsoft Corporation. (“Innuendo”) On the iPlanet, mainstream commercial conformity reigns, in which Ga Ga Kids watch the same movies, listen to computer-generated music, wear the same clothes and hold the same thoughts and opinions. Musical instruments are forbidden, and rock music is unknown. (“Radio Ga Ga”)

In the newest graduating class is black sheep, Galileo, who has dreams and hears strange words in his head, most of which are lyrics of songs long since lost, though he does not understand their significance. Despite his teacher’s advice, Galileo refuses to conform like the rest of his classmates. (“I Want to Break Free”) Galileo is captured by Khashoggi, commander of Globalsoft’s police. The teacher also reveals a second anomaly, a young, goth woman named Scaramouche who is openly mocked and derided by her peers (“Somebody to Love”). She too is arrested by Khashoggi.

etc. From

I’ll also point out there’s a ‘variations’ section which opens with:

International productions of the musical feature changes in the story and song line-up in order to better reach target audiences. All the main characters retain their general personalities across productions, but the names vary depending on the production.

WTAF

1 Like

Such a waste of Jimmy Chamberlain… i dont understand how they came out the recording session thinking they’d nailed it. Such a half arsed song…

1 Like

I don’t care what anyone says, he’s got the best and most effective scream out of anyone. I love those screeching dental-drill guitars of those '96 XYU performances too, and the monotone delivery of the louder Mary part.

Also having gone through the TAFH extras last week, I’m pretty sure I’m the only person on the planet who managed to get goosebumps from Special Winner’s Song. When James introduces Billy and he suddenly bursts in with that ridiculous guitar tone and starts shredding - if I could play like that I’d never bother speaking to anyone and would limit all of my interactions to unleashing the guitar like that in their faces (as opposed to the current and more simple never bothering to speak to anyone).

At what point did things change? I saw him back in 2008 and it was still excellent, but I did notice he did seem to hand a lot of lead duties over to Jeff.

Not yet, I’m saving that one for Friday. How would you rate it compared to Monuments or Teargarden?

Still early days I guess but is there a chance that maybe this isn’t quite the floating turd we’ve all been expecting?
https://www.metacritic.com/music/shiny-and-oh-so-bright-vol-1-no-past-no-future-no-sun/smashing-pumpkins

6/7 out of 10 is pretty much what I would expect an SP record to get tbh. Enough to point out it’s disappointing, not enough to threaten advertising spend.

Probably won’t bother. It’s just going to be flat, chugging alt rock with no spark.

1 Like

Silvery and KOM have grown on me (as generic, catchy radio rock) but solara is still a pile of shit…really flat, lacking dynamics et (can tell its a monuments b side)

That is the worst sounding drum kit I think I’ve ever heard

4 Likes