The Smashing Pumpkins - Rage against the Machina

Willy’s picture reminded me of the Stay Puft dude.

2 Likes

Can’t think of any other artist whom the media throws into imaginary competitions more.

FTFY

8 Likes

how is this thread still going?

yeah fine.

2 Likes

going to end up on some weird internet news site one day isn’t it? “two forum members argue about the smashing pumpkins for 10 years”

13 Likes

What’s the post-cap on threads these days? Eventually it will grind to a halt.

and then Billy Corgan & the Unbearable Lightness of Being a Misunderstood Guitar Hero Part 2 will spring into existence and round we go again.

Personally I can’t stop engaging with this thread. I know I should just walk away but it’s hypnotic. You know when you have a sore place in your gum or something and your tongue just automatically goes there to probe it even though you know it’ll hurt? That’s how I feel about people posting stuff about how SP’s music (even the stuff they’ve been pumping out for the last 15 years or so) is somehow more important/worthy/exciting that any other music and the only reason it’s not universally lauded is because of some huge anti-BC conspiracy. It’s addictive.

1 Like

yeah, maybe not the case for you but I can’t really handle somebody receiving universal praise because I’m a miserable bastard.

1 Like

I’m not surprised by the pumpkins sales

By this stage of their career they are very much a legacy band with an ageing fan base and their sales targets will be against the Alt Billboard and Concert sales. They’re now and old man band

WELCOME TO THE CLUB SMASHY APPLES

1 Like

HEY this is implying that bad albums dont sell well

2 Likes

I think the work is done when this is the number one google search result for Smashing Pumpkins

5 Likes

Is this the new thread title?

2 Likes

Have we discussed this interview here?

It’s perhaps one of the funniest interviews I’ve ever read, and I read interviews with peter Kay

2 Likes

He’s right

He’s made a 5 star record
a few 4 star ones
Then a lot of 2.5 star ones
and a couple of 1 star ones

4 Likes

I’m not bothered by it! I’m fascinated by it! I love it; it’s what keeps me coming back.In some ways I’m actually quite envious of it: I wish I felt as passionate about anything the way that your ‘T’ icon-mate feels about The Pumpkins.

6 Likes

Yeah this. I’m always worried I’ll let my snarky side come out too much and upset someone but I find the hot takes genuinely fascinating in a morbid way. Place wouldn’t be the same without this thread and the acolyte duo.

2 Likes

Probably not.

1 Like

I haven’t heard that for about 15(?) years. They were booked to play a Glastonbury; having spent my teenage years obsessed with the pumpkins I was dead excited to see them.

They cancelled.

1 Like

I remember the Zwan album getting very positive reviews upon release and then overnight the world decided they would forever be a punchline.

1 Like

I think you’ve just identified the two major issues of the reunion.

2 Likes