Bird of prey thread

Fucking beautiful aren’t they? Just so graceful and powerful.

5 Likes

Have you read The Peregrine?

2 Likes

No! Is it a book?

OH MY FUCKING GOD

2 Likes

Yes, by J A Baker. I wrote my last MA essay on it. Worth checking out if you are of the bird persuasion.

1 Like

Oh damn nice, I like birds more than I like to admit I think. Reckon I’ll be a proper twitcher when I’m old(er)

1 Like

Same. I had loads of bird books and binoculars and all that when I was a kid but still can’t identify many today but I’m getting Jnr into it now too.

1 Like

They’re just so free. I remember being in the Daintree in far north Queensland and just spent a ton of time staring at the unfamiliar birds and reading about the things they were doing. Was so otherworldly. Also heard a podcast the other day talking about pigeons and how they used to be loved by people and were bred in a way that meant that they could breed really easily. Was really cool.

I think they have a special place in my heart because my dad loves them so much and he used to be such a “manly” man until he got older and was more of his real self and I started to realise I had more in common with him than I realised. Even though we barely talk, I think that birds might be a way of connecting.

2 Likes

I couldn’t believe when I first spotted hoopoes in Mallorca that they were just ordinary birds there. Thought I’d found something really rare…
hoopoe1

5 Likes

So much THIS.

1 Like

I would lose my shit if I saw that for the first time.

1 Like

OK ok, I will buy it

Or it’s on offer in the raffle, if you’ve got a ticket and get lucky.

2 Likes

Which one… etc

(That’s a great photo!)

3 Likes

Love a good bird of prey. Casually soaring around and then Bang! They’re straight in there.

Nearly had some big fucker through the windscreen of my car the other day though.
It had just nabbed something out of a ditch at the side of the lane and made a very laboured take-off right in front of me. Wingspan seemed about as wide as the car, as it just cleared the roof.

Here’s a big, bad vulture I saw on holiday.

7 Likes

Look at those motherfucking feathers

3 Likes

the bird of prey is silent, majestic death, swooping down to snatch another life. i love it.

3 Likes

See the occasional Red Kite when cycling home. Pretty fucking cool.

4 Likes

Always seems to be loads of them lads out next to the M40 as you head past Oxford.

1 Like