Birds (as in 🦅🐧🕊🦆🦢🦉🦩🦚🦜🐔 etc)

I’m a big birdwatcher. Have been known to do a bit of twitching, specially went to Weymouth the other day to see a Lesser Yellowlegs, but happy walking around the local parks and nature reserves and seeing/hearing what’s about.

It’s great this time of year because migrant birds can turn up anywhere. A nice moment this morning when a mother walking her daughter to school had her attention taken by a Blackcap loudly singing in a bush by the path. Obviously nowhere to be seen but he certainly made everyone know he was there!

2 Likes

yes! get duck content, thank you.

We have two ducks in the pond outside work, I’ve named them Rosie and Jim. I’m excited to get back to work on Monday to see if there’s any ducklings yet, butter my arse I hope there’s ducklings. Last year they were so cute I almost died.

2 Likes

Ah well, if we’re including fancy foreign stuff, here’s a vulture.

4 Likes

Love spotting the Jays in Bute Park whilst I’m on my lunch time walks, they’re incredibly handsome.

Look how close this one got to us!

IMG-20190425-WA0001

7 Likes

Love birds, I do. Had a few goldfinches around the garden this last week, which is always a treat. There’s always plenty of blue tits and a couple of robins about, as well as magpies and the very occasional jay. A couple of years ago there were some bullfinches hanging about, but they never came back the next year. Rude.

1 Like

Great photos! I think those are marabou storks. For whatever reason, they have them at Marwell Zoo (or did when I lived near there).

1 Like

I’ll let you know in a fortnight

1 Like

They totally are a gbol (despite the leg-shitting)! Hanging out minding their own business ignoring your tip-toeing seems fair enough to me.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Come join me South Manchester bird buddy @wikihock

You have the zebra finch. My ultimate garden bird.not too showy, nice mix of spots and plain, lovely dusty looking colours, neon beak. Remind me of old nature shows I watched at my grandparents.

Also, baby talk https://www.itvscience.com/zebra-finches-use-baby-talk-teach/

220px-Taeniopygia_guttata_-Karratha%2C_Pilbara%2C_Western_Australia%2C_Australia_-male-8_(2)

5 Likes

Oh also check out my buddy Luke Blazejewski. Does films about Manchester wildlife mostly along the Irwell.

Edit: quite like that line “check out my buddy Luke Blazejewski” as the new Billy Big Balls.

Oh and not sure if you’re a bit South like me or South South but this is tomorrow in Whalley Range.

I meant to say but forgot - you may know this already but Marwell have an annual pass that was a complete lifesaver when my kids were little. Any sign of boredom, get em down to the zoo

1 Like

I saw a Little Egret on my estate a few weeks ago, fantastic find, though I assume it was meant to go to a reservoir a few miles away!

Finally joined London Bird Club this week so I’m aiming to go on some of their walks and talks. I’ve generally found birders quite welcoming but as they’re usually male, I think they take pity on me (which is fine as I have no idea what I’m liking at, I just like birds).

4 Likes

Really like how annoyed greenfinches look

17 Likes

We get those in our garden regularly they are amazing. They have baths in our pond and then their head feathers get all buffon’d up and it is the cutest thing ever.

1 Like

Kookaburras are the best, whenever I’d hear them laughing I’d stop anything I was doing and have a watch / listen. Just all round amazing.

1 Like

Can’t believe you got that close - jays are incredibly easy to spook.

Last year our garden jays got very cocky. They’d just saunter up and down the paths even with people close by. Not sure if that was something they were driven to do somehow as it must have been during that heatwave. They’ve gone back to being elusive this year so far.

1 Like