Birds (as in 🦅🐧🕊🦆🦢🦉🦩🦚🦜🐔 etc)

Just seen what I think is a small bird of prey on a walk. Only managed to get some very blurry photos. Maybe a kestrel? Or Sparrowhawk? Any ideas?

2 Likes

Yeah I think it’s a good call for a Kestrel. Size shape and colour seems to add up from the photos. Ace birds!

1 Like

Yep! this is the next step and maybe add a Slinky too

@colinfilth has just asked me to lube up my pole! This isn’t even the Filth thread :wink:

1 Like

Intrigued by the lurking swan. Presumably the heron chipped off at the first sight of of it?

1 Like

They had a hissing match and the swan went past. The heron stopped put. There was another swan off to the left of the shot, so they had a bath together

1 Like

Smug duck on a fountain

11 Likes

Happy to see there’s a couple of jays living around my new flat.

9 Likes

Stupid Egyptian goose duck

In sad bird news I’m starting to wonder if our video blue tit nest box is going to get a resident this year. It almost always does, but it’s getting quite late now and I’ve not seen much interest. Last year was a bit harrowing with the nest getting raided out by a woodpecker, but I’d still quite like to see them give it a go.

muscovy duck has started hanging around awkwardly by a stream near me, is always stood at nearly the same spot when i run past

6 Likes

Just had a Zoom meeting interrupted by this pair. Blue tits are so noisy for such tiny things.

5 Likes

The blue tit is such an underrated bird. They’re so common that people forget how pretty they are.

3 Likes

Seeing all the herons today. Also had a green woodpecker flyby :slight_smile:

Bonus blue tit:

12 Likes

That heron looks so wise

1 Like

Binocular recommendations anyone?

Budget of around £100 (really fancy the Nikon Prostaff 7s ones but at £160 they’re a bit too much).

I wear glasses and have a very unsteady hand if that makes a difference.

Tricky one, as a lot of it is about what is comfortable and what works for you.

I’ve used Opticron bins for about 20 years now, and got an Opticron telescope too a couple of years back.

Optics shops tend to be a bit few and far between but there are some expos at nature reserves that are worth a go to try some out before buying.

These seem OK for under a ton, but like I say, worth getting your hands on some and give them a try first.

1 Like

Cheers.

After giving it a bit more thought I’m maybe more tempted by a compact pair as I think having some that just slip into a coat pocket and can be with me all the time might be better than a heavy pair which I forget to take with me on dog walks etc.

I think trying some out does seem the best bet tbh.

I’ve got these… Nothing fancy, but they’re as much as I need, and do their job of making things bigger. Think I paid about half the RRP, worth shopping around. Definitely not compact/won’t fit in your pocket though!

Edit - meant to reply to @HotBeefTrauma

1 Like

Compact is a good idea, but it is possible to get bigger pairs that are crucially still light, albeit I’m usually comparing mine to carrying my DSLR camera with zoom lens. I have a basic RSPB pair and they’re great for birdwatching.

1 Like

These get good reviews tbf. Seem like a good deal and a good spec.